University Of Glasgow 8 The Square

University Of Glasgow 8 The Square

Description

8 The Square is part of the Stair Building, which comprises No.5–10 The Square, and currently houses the School of Law.

No.8 was one of the 13 townhouses built for the University Professors in 1870–1871 by George Gilbert Scott. 8 The Square housed the Professors of Ecclesiastical History until 1942. The first resident at No.8 was Thomas Thomson Jackson. Professor of Ecclesiastical History at the University from 1851 to 1874, Jackson lived at No.8 from 1870 to 1874. The next tenant at 8 The Square was William Lee, Professor of Ecclesiastical History from 1874 to 1886.

Robert Herbert Story was the next Professor to take up residency at No.8. He was Professor of Ecclesiastical History from 1886 to 1898 and lived at No.8 during this time after which he became Principal of the University and moved to the Principal’s Lodgings located at 13 The Square.

From 1899 to 1922 James Cooper lived at No.8. He was Professor of Ecclesiastical History and the first Chaplain to the University’s Officer Training Corps. The last Professor of Ecclesiastical History to reside in the townhouse was Archibald Main (Professor from 1922 until 1942). Ian Wilson Macdonaldwas Johnstone Smith Professor of Accountancy at the University from 1938 until 1950 and lived at 8 The Square from c1942 until 1950.

During the 1950s J.B. Neilson resided at No.8. He was the Secretary to the Committee organizing the Fifth Centenary celebrations of the University. The offices for that purpose were established in No.8 for the duration of the celebrations.

The townhouse’s last tenant was Thomas Wilson. He lived at No.8 while he was Adam Smith Professor of Political Economy from 1958 to 1985. After this time 8 The Square was incorporated into the School of Law.

University Of Glasgow 8 The Square

Summary

The Square, 8
8 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ