University of Essex Year Abroad
University of Essex Year Abroad
The Essex spirit of adventure is why we value the international dimension of university life so highly. We enable students and staff to widen their experience with a period of study or work at one of our partner institutions around the world.
Studying abroad or working abroad gives you the chance to immerse yourself in another culture and develop your independence, adaptability and cultural awareness – enormous advantages when you enter the global job market.
Why we are special
- Relationships with over 150 institutions worldwide
- Staff can visit partner institutions through Erasmus+
- We welcome over 300 study abroad students to Essex each year
- We hold an Erasmus+ Charter for Higher Education 2014-20 (.pdf)
- IIE GSA Commitment Partner
Study abroad options
The majority of our courses give you the chance to spend a term or year studying abroad. Study abroad is a fantastic opportunity which offers you:
- the ability to present future employers with evidence of your capacity for inter-cultural understanding, self-reliance and independence
- the chance to become immersed in another culture over a sustained period, getting to know a country and its people in a way that you can’t as a tourist
- a fresh perspective on the world and your academic discipline
- a chance to experience a different educational system which develops different skills to those focused on in the UK
Your choice of destination
Study abroad is available at more than 150 partner institutions in 39 countries worldwide.
Essex is now a member of the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP). ISEP is a US based provider which offers students access to a wider exchange network comprising of over 200 participating universities globally.
This could offer students a wonderful opportunity to secure a place in the location that they desire.
Study and internship programme
We have partnered with a variety of Universities to launch a new study exchange and internship programme run over two semesters. The first is spent studying a variety of modules and the second is spent working in a local company or within the University.
You don’t have to be fluent in another language to study abroad. Many of our partner institutions offer modules in English. There is always the option to study the local language, either in extra-curricular language classes or even in for-credit modules.
Learning a language at Essex
There are also different ways you can learn a language at Essex. This will not only expand your options for studying and working abroad, it will increase your global and cultural awareness, give you confidence when going abroad and give you a competitive edge when you’re looking for a job.
Your options for learning a language at Essex include:
- choosing a credit-bearing language module as part of your degree – check if your course allows for an outside option
- learning a language alongside your studies with Languages for All, on a not-for-credit basis and at no extra cost
- getting an Essex Modern Languages Certificate as a co-curricular option
- studying languages as your main degree
Funding your time abroad
We can help you find scholarships and funding to support you during your time abroad. With a small number of exceptions, you also won’t have to pay tuition fees at your host university, making study abroad more affordable than you might have thought.
If you’re considering study abroad, we can give you advice on whether it’s right for you and where you can go. We’ll help you organise your time abroad and prepare by providing pre-departure workshops and information sessions.
Contact us to find out more and start your journey.