University of Essex Southend
University of Essex Southend
- The Forum Southend-on-Sea houses a comprehensive library, teaching spaces and a 24 hour Learning Hub.
- The Clifftown Theatre and Studios offers unique rehearsal and performance space in a converted church.
- University Square, our student accommodation complex, has become an iconic building in the town centre.
- Courses offered by Essex Business School, the School of Health and Human Sciences (incorporating the Centre for Social Work), East 15 Acting School and the Centre for Psychoanalytic Studies.
- Just 50 minutes from central London.
- Interactive 360 degree views of the Southend Campus.
- Watch our parkour at Southend Campus video.
See the Southend Campus through the eyes of one of our students with this timelapse video.
Explore life on our Southend Campus.
You can see more of our Southend Campus in this Flickr photo album.
A growing community
Opened in 2007 our Southend Campus is a vibrant town centre base offering courses from four of our departments.
The Forum opened in September 2013 as a joint partnership between Southend Borough Council and South Essex College. It provides modern lecture rooms, rehearsal space and high-tech medical skills labs.
Famous for its beach resort and pier, Southend-on-Sea stretches along seven miles of award-winning coastline, providing plenty of opportunities for a wide range of water sports and leisure activities.
Southend-on-Sea is situated on the south Essex coast and its seven miles of award-winning coastline provides opportunities for a wide range of water sports and leisure activities. Southend is a famous beach resort and often referred to as ‘London’s playground’, attracting more than six million visitors per year.
Our student facilities
We have created iconic buildings which deliver exceptional facilities for our students and the local community.
- The Gateway Building offers state-of-the-art teaching and learning environments including modern lecture rooms and studios with panoramic sea views.
- The Forum offers a brand new lecture theatre, two floors of integrated library resources, fantastic teaching rooms and an entire floor dedicated to our students. The Learning Hub on the second floor is accessible to our students 24 hours a day. Its unrivalled study experience includes numerous study spaces for individual and group work and PCs.
- The University Square accommodation complex has become a well-known part of Southend’s urban landscape. The 561-room development includes many green and sustainable features and offers high-quality accommodation for our students.
- The Clifftown Theatre and Studios provides extensive rehearsal and performance space in a former church for our East 15 students, which complement the superb existing facilities in The Gateway Building. Original features of the church have been maintained to offer a beautiful environment to study and perform.
- Our active Students’ Union offers a relaxing home from home experience and a wealth of advice and guidance. The team also organise a varied calendar of free sport through our Just Play programme.
Diverse student community
Overseas students make an important contribution to the cultural life of the Campus and we are proud of our thriving international student community in Southend.
The Southend Campus is also home to the Business Hub, a specialist resource for companies of all sizes, which aims to foster and promote economic sustainability. The Business Hub provides a wide range of support services and contemporary, professional facilities including a Business Incubation Centre for start-up businesses and the renowned i-Lab.