University of Essex Knowledge Gateway
University of Essex Knowledge Gateway
The Knowledge Gateway research and technology park on our Colchester Campus is set to become the location of choice in the eastern region for knowledge-based enterprises in science, technology and the creative sector.
Drawing on our global reputation for analytics and data science and outstanding support for SMEs, it’s set to employ more than 2,000 people.
Investing for innovation
Set in mature parkland and accessed via the A133, the Knowledge Gateway had an initial investment in 2010 of £12m to build roads, landscaping and other infrastructure. It’s the location of Parkside Office Village, our hotspot for small businesses, and also our carbon-neutral, state-of-the-art Essex Business School which opened in 2015. Planning has also been approved to build our major 38,000 sq ft £10 million Innovation Centre, at the heart of the Knowledge Gateway, that will accommodate more than 50 growing start-ups with work anticipated to start on-site as early as summer 2016.
A growing SME hotspot
To meet demand for excellent SME accommodation, a further 5,500 sq ft of office space on Parkside Office Village will be available from summer 2016, with potential for a further development phase. Parkside is already home to 20 successful and growing SMEs; companies joining us are more than just tenants – they’re valued members of our University community. Virtual tenancies are also available.
On the Knowledge Gateway there is designated space for SMEs, larger corporates and other organisations to design office and R&D space that fits your plans to expand and thrive, by working with our design and build team.
Business joining us on the Knowledge Gateway have full access to excellent on-campus facilities:
- Specialist research facilities across our academic departments.
- The luxury four-star Wivenhoe House Hotel offering restaurant, brasserie and event and meeting space.
- Larger events and conferences professionally organised on-campus by Event Essex.
- Wivenhoe Park day nursery for childcare, open 8am to 6pm.
- Print Essex offering a full graphic design and print service for corporate marketing.
- Sports Centre and Evolve gym offering a membership scheme and fitness classes .
- More than 12 cafes and restaurants serving excellent breakfasts, lunches and dinners, plus three bars.
- An on-campus 24-hour mini supermarket, Santander and Lloyds banks with ATMs, and a Post Office.
- Leisure and entertainment including our Lakeside Theatre and Art Exchange gallery.
- Landscaped parkland covering more than 200 acres, perfect for breaktimes and a relaxing lunchtime stroll.
- Our ESSEXLab is dedicated to social science experiments and is open to all researchers and businesses.
- Our state-of-the-art interpreting lab has equipment matching that of the European Commission, the United Nations and the Houses of Parliament.
Choosing Colchester as your business base
Colchester offers many benefits as a base for your business. It has rapid growth, with the population forecast to increase by 24% to 224,700 by 2031 backed by major regeneration efforts by Colchester Borough Council. As well as great range of shops and services, the area offers superb quality of life for employees, with Dedham Vale and Constable Country within a few miles, rural Suffolk to the north and the many picturesque Essex coastal towns and villages to the east, all easily commutable from the Knowledge Gateway. Colchester has some of the best schools in the country, including two grammar schools, and a vibrant arts scene including the Firstsite visual arts centre, Mercury Theatre and Colchester Arts Centre.
Knowledge Gateway transport links
- Road: 60 miles from central London on the A12.
- Rail: 46 minutes from London Liverpool Street.
- Air: 30 miles to London Stansted Airport and 44 miles to Southend Airport.
- Sea: 30 minutes to Harwich and easily accessible to channels ports via the Dartford Crossing.
Map and directions
- View our location on Google Maps.
- Travelling to our Colchester Campus.
- Maps of Colchester and the campus.
Head of Operations – University of Essex Knowledge Gateway Limited
University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex, CO4 3SQ
Telephone 01206 872849
Mobile 07769 282555