University of Essex Info
University of Essex Info
University of Essex
The University of Essex is a public research university in Colchester, Essex, England. It was established in 1963 and received its Royal Charter in 1965.
The university’s largest campus is within Wivenhoe Park, less than a mile (1.6 km) from Wivenhoe and two miles (3 km) from Colchester. Apart from the Wivenhoe Park campus, there is a campus in Southend-on-Sea and the East 15 Acting School is in Loughton. The university’s motto, “Thought the harder, heart the keener”, is adapted from the Anglo-Saxon poem The Battle of Maldon.
The university has collaborative partnerships with a number of institutions across eastern England including the University of Suffolk, Colchester Institute, South Essex College and Writtle University College.
The university has an international character with 132 countries represented in its student body. The Research Excellence Framework (REF) in 2014 ranked Essex in the top twenty universities in the UK for the quality of its research and the top five for social science. The university is referenced by QS World University Rankings as being in the top 2% of universities in the world, and as a world leader in social sciences (top 150) and management, with internationally recognised strengths in the arts and humanities (top 250). The QS statistics ranked Essex the fifth most international university in the UK for staff and the 11th most international student body.
In July 1959, Essex County Council accepted a proposal from Alderman Leatherland that a university be established in the county. A University Promotion Committee was formed chaired by Lord Lieutenant of Essex, Sir John Ruggles-Brise, which submitted a formal application to the University Grants Committee requesting that a University of Essex should be established. Initial reports suggested that the Promotion Committee had recommended Hylands Park in Chelmsford as the site for the new University, however in May 1961, the foundation of the university was announced in the House of Commons with Wivenhoe as the preferred location and in December of the same year, Wivenhoe Park was acquired for the new university. In July 1962, Albert Sloman, Gilmour Professor of Spanish and Dean of the Faculty of Arts, University of Liverpool, was appointed as Vice-Chancellor and the Rt. Hon. R. A. Butler, was invited to be Chancellor, with Anthony Rowland-Jones appointed as Registrar.
The first Professors were appointed in May 1963: Alan Gibson in Physics, Peter Townsend in Sociology, Donald Davie in Literature, Richard Lipsey in Economics, Ian Proudman in Mathematics, Jean Blondel in Government, and John Bradley in Chemistry. With its first staff appointed, a development plan for the university was published and a £1million Appeal Fund was launched. Within six months the Appeal Fund had exceeded its £1million target with The Queen Mother and Sir Winston Churchill among contributors, while work began on clearing the site for building work. In Autumn 1963, red was chosen as the University colour and the first prospectus was prepared and work began on the first permanent buildings; the science block and boiler room next to Wivenhoe House. In January 1964, Hardy Amies designed the university’s academic robes and temporary teaching huts had to be erected close to Wivenhoe House, while in March Sir John Ruggles-Brise was appointed the first Pro-Chancellor and Alderman Leatherland the first Treasurer of the University. Two months later the university’s Armorial Bearings were published, with the motto “Thought the harder, heart the keener”.
In October 1964, the first 122 students arrived with 28 teaching staff in three schools: Comparative Studies, Physical Sciences and Social Studies. Departments of Chemistry, Physics, Government, Sociology, Literature, Mathematics and Economics open along with the Language Centre (later the Department of Language and Linguistics) and the Computing Centre (later the Department of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering) with Denis Mesure elected as the first President of the Students’ Council. Work started on the first residential tower, Rayleigh, in December with The Queen approving the grant of Charter to take effect from 11 January 1965.
1965 brought 399 students enrolling for the start of the new academic year; the number of academic staff more than doubled to 61; and the first degrees, five MSc and five MA degrees were awarded. The Physics building opened and the first six floors of Rayleigh tower were ready for occupation, while work began on the Albert Sloman Library. The first female lecturer was appointed: Dorothy E. Smith in the Department of Sociology. In December, University Court met for the first time with around 500 members. Six months later, work started on the Lecture Theatre Building, plus the ‘Topping out’ of Keynes tower.
In October 1966, the Hexagon Restaurant and General Store opened, with the number of students reaching 750. Lord Butler was installed as Chancellor at a ceremony held in Colchester’s Moot Hall in 1967 and the first Honorary Degrees were presented, the University’s Mace was carried for the first time, while the first annual Degree Congregation saw 135 degrees conferred in July. At the start of the next academic year, the departments of Computer Science and Electronic Systems Engineering accepted their first students, the SSRC Data Bank (later renamed the UK Data Archive) was established and the Lecture Theatre Building and Library opened along with the first phase of the Social and Comparative Studies building, while work proceeded on Tawney and William Morris residential towers.
The university is organised into three faculties, comprising 17 schools and departments, spanning the Humanities, Social Sciences and Science and Health.
- Faculty of Humanities
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities (CISH)
- Department of History
- Department of Literature, Film, and Theatre Studies
- East 15 Acting School
- International Academy
- School of Philosophy and Art History
- School of Law
- Human Rights Centre
- Faculty of Science and Health
- School of Biological Sciences
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Department of Psychology
- School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
- School of Health and Human Sciences
- Centre for Psychoanalytic Studies
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Government
- Department of Language and Linguistics
- Department of Sociology
- Institute for Social and Economic Research
- UK Data Archive
- Essex Business School
Get in touch
Course, admissions and general enquiries
- Live chat
- Complete our enquiry form
- Undergraduate admissions +44 (0)1206 873666
- Postgraduate admissions +44 (0)1206 872719
- General enquiries +44 (0)1206 873333