University of Edinburgh Visiting Student

university of edinburgh logo

University of Edinburgh Visiting Student

How to apply to be a visiting international student.

  • Study Abroad
  • International Exchange
  • Erasmus Exchange

Unfortunately EU students can only apply to the University of Edinburgh if there is an appropriate Erasmus agreement in place.

Exchange Nomination process

– If you are an exchange student, at this point you should contact your home university and enquire about the exchange nomination process. If you are nominated successfully, you will receive an invitation to apply to us online.

– If you are applying to us independently as a Study Abroad student, you do not need to worry about this step – you can apply online.

When can I study at Edinburgh?

You can study at Edinburgh for the full academic year or either the autumn (fall) or spring semester.

  • Full Academic Year: September – May
  • Semester One: September – December
  • Semester two: January – May

Your time at Edinburgh may count towards your final degree at your home institution.

At the end of your period of study in Edinburgh, you will receive a transcript and this will be translated into courses taken and grades achieved.

For full details of courses available and how to apply, please see the University-wide information on study abroad.

Study abroad

Entry requirements

  • A good academic record (US students should have achieved a minimum GPA of 3.0 or over on 4.0 point scale)
  • A good academic reference from your home institution

English Language requirements

You will need a good level of English. If you are a non-native speaker, you should meet the standard requirements for all international undergraduate students.

Undergraduate English requirements

What can I study?

Edinburgh offers visiting students a range of courses in subject areas from 19 different schools. Applicants should only apply for courses which they are qualified.