University of Edinburgh Prospectus
The University of Edinburgh (abbreviated as Edin. in post-nominals), founded in 1582, is the sixth oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland’s ancient universities. The university is deeply embedded in the fabric of the city of Edinburgh, with many of the buildings in the historic Old Town belonging to the university.
The University of Edinburgh was ranked 17th and 21st in the world by the 2014–15 and 2015-16 QS rankings. It is now ranked 19th in the world according to 2016-17 QS Rankings. The Research Excellence Framework, a research ranking used by the UK government to determine future research funding, ranked Edinburgh 4th in the UK for research power, with Computer Science and Informatics ranking 1st in the UK. It is ranked 16th in the world in arts and humanities by the 2015–16 Times Higher Education Ranking. It is ranked the 23rd most employable university in the world by the 2015 Global Employability University Ranking. It is ranked as the 6th best university in Europe by the U.S. News’ Best Global Universities Ranking. It is a member of both the Russell Group, and the League of European Research Universities, a consortium of 21 research universities in Europe. It has the third largest endowment of any university in the United Kingdom, after the universities of Cambridge and Oxford.
SRA’s mission is to lead the design, development and implementation of the University of Edinburgh’s strategy for student recruitment, admissions and widening participation.
We do this by making effective use of research and market intelligence and providing both internal and external stakeholders with expert information, advice and guidance, empowering them to make good decisions.
We aim to:
- be the go-to professional service for comprehensive, credible and insightful information, advice and guidance on any aspect of student recruitment, admissions and widening participation
- continuously develop and improve the services we offer, recognising and anticipating the changing needs and expectations of our stakeholders.
- be global in scope and world-leading in expertise.
- We are experts and skilled practitioners: adept communicators, analysts and strategic thinkers.
- We work in partnership with colleagues within and beyond the University, forming valuable networks and teams.
- We are helpful, supportive, reliable and trustworthy.
- We are innovative, inspiring, proactive and flexible.