University Of Edinburgh Kings Buildings Shuttle Bus
The University provides a free shuttle bus service for staff and students to travel between the Central Area and the King’s Buildings to meet their academic timetable.
Latest News: Lothian Buses Service 41 Pilot
From 13th March – 7th April 2017 students and staff will be able to use Lothian Buses Service 41 to travel between Central Area and King’s Buildings for free. This is a pilot to test the use of a public bus service to provide much-needed extra capacity for the Shuttle Bus Service.
Important Service Information
The Shuttle Service is provided for students and staff who need to travel rapidly between Central Area and King’s Buildings to meet their academic timetable.
The shuttle service is very busy at the start and end of the day, and at lunchtimes. There is no guarantee that the service will be able to pick up all waiting passengers.
Staff and students who are required to make essential business/study related journeys between the Central Area and King’s Buildings within a tight deadline may apply for a priority permit. This entitles permit holders to priority over and above other waiting passengers.
Please consider alternative travel options for King’s Buildings.
The shuttle bus will operate Monday-Friday between the following dates:
- Monday 12th September – Wednesday 21st December 2016
- Friday 13th January – Friday 7th April 2017
- Monday 24th April – Friday 26th May 2017
The service does NOT run during the Winter, Spring or Summer vacation.
The bus picks up and drops off in Central Area and King’s Buildings.
|Central Area depart||King’s Buildings arrive||King’s Buildings depart||Central Area arrive|
Pick up points
- Central Area: Potterrow at the bus stop opposite the Potterrow Student Centre (bus stop number 36253583). This bus stop is on the east side of Potterrow.
- King’s Buildings: The bus stop at the roundabout next to the Roger Land Building (bus stop number 36245896).
Drop off points (no pick up)
- Central Area: The bus stop on Chapel Street, Opposite the Pear Tree Pub.
- Central Area: The bus stop next to the Student Centre at Bristo Square.
- King’s Buildings: the roundabout at the Roger Land Building.
Priority permits are issued to staff and students required to make essential business/study related journeys between University sites to a deadline. The first 10 seats of the shuttle bus must be left free for priority permit holders until departure. A Priority Permit application form should be completed and authorised by your Personal Tutor. The form can be downloaded from the following webpage.
Evening and weekend bus travel
The shuttle bus does not operate in the evenings and at weekends but plenty of public bus services do, connecting the King’s Buildings with destinations across Edinburgh.