University Of Edinburgh Biomedical Science
BSc Biomedical Sciences
UCAS code: C190
Duration: 4 years
School: Edinburgh Medical School: Biomedical Sciences
College: Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Introducing BSc Biomedical Sciences
Understanding the functioning of the human body at the molecular, cellular, organ and system levels in health and disease is the ultimate aim of biomedical science.
Biomedical scientists integrate knowledge gained by research across a range of related disciplines and apply this knowledge in the analysis of disease mechanisms. The basic research carried out by biomedical scientists is fundamental for new developments and innovation in disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
Biomedical scientists develop individual scientific, experimental and critical skills that have the potential to facilitate major contributions to improvements in human health and the treatment of illness.
The typical offer is likely to be:
- SQA Highers: AAAB by the end of S5 or AAAA/AAABB in S4-S6.
- A Levels: AAB in one sitting.
- IB: 36 points overall with HL Grade 6 Biology and Chemistry.
Minimum entry requirements
- SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or ABBBB/AABB from S4-S6, with a minimum of BBB achieved in one year of S4-S6, to include Biology and Chemistry. Mathematics and/or Physics are recommended. Qualified applicants are advised to take Biology and Chemistry at Advanced Higher level where possible. National 5: Mathematics at Grade B. English at Grade C.
- A Levels: ABB, in one sitting, to include Biology and Chemistry. Mathematics and/or Physics are recommended. GCSEs: Mathematics at Grade B or 6 and English at Grade C or 4.
- IB: Overall score of 32 points, including HL Biology and Chemistry, one at Grade 5 and one at Grade 6. Mathematics and/or Physics are recommended. SL: English at Grade 4 and Mathematics at SL Grade 4. If you are using English /English Language at SL as part of the English language requirement, you must obtain Grade 5.
We welcome applications from students studying a wide range of international qualifications.