University Of Edinburgh Architecture
Postgraduate research is vital to ESALA’s critical dynamism and international profile. Studying for a PhD/MPhil/MSc by Research in Architecture, you will be contributing to the UK’s largest centre for the study of architecture and environmental design: a world leader in its field. The programme offers you the chance to study architecture in all its aspects and you will be immersed in an interdisciplinary environment which draws on a wide variety of specialisms. These include design, the history and theory of architecture and urbanism, sustainability, technology, architectural conservation, digital media, landscape architecture and salutogenic environments, and architectural criticism.
Research is central to the life of Architecture within ESALA. It motivates both the intellectual and creative facets of our activities, as well as driving our collaborations with a broad range of external institutions, both within the UK and internationally. We actively encourage research projects that challenge conventional modes of practice and thought and which can make a positive impact on government policy making and on people’s lives. We also seek to develop research that addresses global challenges, exploring environmental resilience and sustainable development.
We are interested in a diversity of conditions: from the most intimate spaces of dwelling, through complex infrastructures and open spaces, to the heterogeneous fabric of cities and their wider territorial environments. Studying architecture and its allied disciplines within the larger Edinburgh College of Art also provides exciting opportunities for cross-disciplinary exploration and research with the schools of Art, Design, History of Art, and Music.
Top five reasons to choose the programme
- You will have access to supervision from a range of world-class researchers, drawn from within and beyond the discipline of architecture.
- We actively promote interdisciplinary approaches to the understanding of architecture and encourage research projects that challenge conventional modes of practice and thought.
- You will benefit from leading research training methodologies and seminar events, including distinguished visiting professors, all within a lively, research-driven environment.
- You will have access to world-class computing, library and workshop facilities, all located in a European capital city with good transport links both within the UK and abroad.
- The programme provides exciting opportunities for cross-disciplinary exploration and research with the schools of Art, Design, History of Art, and Music