University of Edinburgh 1098-T

university of edinburgh logo

University of Edinburgh 1098-T

US loans

Student loans are provided by the US Government to eligible students on eligible programmes of study. The University of Edinburgh is an approved Title IV institution for the purpose of administering these loans.

At the University of Edinburgh, Scholarships and Student Funding Services staff are committed to helping you determine the best way to pay for your education and to provide comprehensive support and quality service.


We have commenced processing FAFSA applications for 2017-18 students and will initially be prioritising students who require to make a visa application for their studies.

Please look out for emails regarding the next steps in the loan process and get in touch if you have a particular deadline for your visa application.

Once your loans have been originated satisfactorily you will receive an award letter which details the loan amounts, net of origination fees, and the disbursement dates.

This award letter will be emailed to you and should be used to satisfy visa requirements.

In addition to the information on our web pages our“Edinburgh Financial Aid Information” provides comprehensive information on various aspects of the US loan process..

We would encourage all current and prospective borrowers to consult this document.

First steps for applying for Federal Aid:

The University of Edinburgh’s school code is G06839.

If you intend to study at the University of Edinburgh in the 2017-2018 academic session and you wish to take out a loan, you should complete the following steps:

1) Submit a FAFSA

Students wishing to apply for financial aid are required to complete a FAFSA. This can be completed on-line at

2) E-sign Your Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)

Students taking out a federal Direct loan outside the US are required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) annually before the loan funds can be disbursed. Follow the four-step process listed on the Web site to sign your MPN. A separate MPN is required for a PLUS loan, if applicable.