University of East Anglia Uea

By | 23rd May 2017

University of East Anglia logo

University of East Anglia Uea

University of East Anglia Uea

UNIVERSITY OF EAST ANGLIA

The University of East Anglia (abbreviated as UEA) is a public research university in Norwich, England.Established in 1963 on a 320 acres (130 hectares) campus south-west of the city centre, the university has four faculties and 26 schools of study.

The university is ranked 15th in the UK by The Times and Sunday Times and 14th by The Complete University Guide.] The university also ranks in the world top 1% according to the Times Higher Education World Rankings[14] and the World Top 100 for research excellence in the Leiden Ranking.

History:  University of East Anglia Uea

1960s

Denys Lasdun’s Ziggurats accommodation

Attempts had been made to establish a university in Norwich in 1919 and 1947, but due to a lack of government funding on both occasions the plans had to be postponed. The University of East Anglia was eventually given the green light in April 1960, and opened its doors in October 1963 to biological sciences and English studies students. Initially, teaching took place in the temporary “University Village”. Sited on the opposite side of the Earlham Road to the present campus, this was a collection of prefabricated structures designed for 1200 students, laid out by the local architectural firm Feilden and Mawson. There were no residences. The vice-chancellor and administration were based in nearby Earlham Hall.

In 1961, the first vice-chancellor, Frank Thistlethwaite, had approached Denys Lasdun, an adherent of the “New Brutalist” trend in architecture, who was at that time building Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, to produce designs for the permanent campus.  The site chosen was on the western edge of the city, on the south side of Earlham Road. The land, formerly part of the Earlham Hall estate was at that time occupied by a golf course. Lasdun unveiled a model and an outline plan at a press conference in April 1963, but it took another year to produce detailed plans, which diverged considerably from the model. The first buildings did not open until late 1966.

Lasdun put all the teaching and research functions into the “teaching wall”, a single block 460 metres (1,510 feet) long following the contour of the site. Alongside this he built a walkway, giving access to the various entrances of the wall, with access roads beneath. Attached to the other, southern, side of the walkway he added the groups of terraced residences that became known as “Ziggurats”. In 1968, Lasdun was replaced as architect by Bernard Feilden, who completed the teaching wall and library and created an arena-shaped square as a social space of a kind not envisioned in his predecessor’s plans. They would later become Grade II* listed status,[18] reflecting the importance of the architecture and the history of the campus.

In 1964 Arthur Miller’s The Crucible became the first drama production to be staged at UEA with John Rhys Davies (later to appear in The Lord of the Rings trilogy), the drama society’s first president.  In the same decade, in 1965, Benjamin Britten was appointed music adviser for UEA. In 1967 he conducted the UEA Choir in a performance of his War Requiem. In 1968 there were two royal visits from Princess Margaret and the Queen who each came to tour the new university for the first time.

CONTACT US: University of East Anglia Uea

University of East Anglia
Norwich Research Park
Norwich
NR4 7TJ
UK

Telephone UEA Main Switchboard number: 01603 456161