University of East Anglia Contact

University of East Anglia logo

University of East Anglia Contact

University of East Anglia Contact

CONTACT US:

University of East Anglia
Norwich Research Park
Norwich
NR4 7TJ
UK

Telephone UEA Main Switchboard number: 01603 456161

UNIVERSITY OF EAST ANGLIA

The University of East Anglia (abbreviated as UEA) is a public research university in Norwich, England.Established in 1963 on a 320 acres (130 hectares) campus south-west of the city centre, the university has four faculties and 26 schools of study.

The university is ranked 15th in the UK by The Times and Sunday Times and 14th by The Complete University Guide.] The university also ranks in the world top 1% according to the Times Higher Education World Rankings[14] and the World Top 100 for research excellence in the Leiden Ranking.

History

1960s

Denys Lasdun’s Ziggurats accommodation

Attempts had been made to establish a university in Norwich in 1919 and 1947, but due to a lack of government funding on both occasions the plans had to be postponed. The University of East Anglia was eventually given the green light in April 1960, and opened its doors in October 1963 to biological sciences and English studies students. Initially, teaching took place in the temporary “University Village”. Sited on the opposite side of the Earlham Road to the present campus, this was a collection of prefabricated structures designed for 1200 students, laid out by the local architectural firm Feilden and Mawson. There were no residences. The vice-chancellor and administration were based in nearby Earlham Hall.

In 1961, the first vice-chancellor, Frank Thistlethwaite, had approached Denys Lasdun, an adherent of the “New Brutalist” trend in architecture, who was at that time building Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, to produce designs for the permanent campus.  The site chosen was on the western edge of the city, on the south side of Earlham Road. The land, formerly part of the Earlham Hall estate was at that time occupied by a golf course. Lasdun unveiled a model and an outline plan at a press conference in April 1963, but it took another year to produce detailed plans, which diverged considerably from the model. The first buildings did not open until late 1966.