University of Derby Friar Gate
University of Derby Friar Gate, Our impressive facilities replicate real legal environments and have been described as “exceptional” by Skills for Justice; they are among the country’s most up-to-date and comprehensive for the study of law.
One Friar Gate Square
One Friar Gate Square is the new home of Derby Law School from September 2015. A modern and iconic building in the heart of Derby’s vibrant city centre, it creates the perfect environment for innovative and engaging teaching.
Access all areas
We share One Friar Gate Square with Criminology and Policing students, as well as the International Policing and Justice Institute. This dedicated site offers unique opportunities for sharing knowledge, expertise and experience in all aspects of the legal and justice fields.
You’ll be taught by world-class academics and be surrounded by state-of-the-art facilities including:
- Crown Court
- Criminology labs
- Social learning space
- Law Clinic
- Interview rooms
- Lecture theatres, seminar rooms and individual meeting rooms.
Exchange opportunities and overseas visits
You can take part in exchanges with countries as diverse as South Africa and Sweden, as well as overseas study tours and opportunities to visit the US, Italy, Malaysia and Indonesia.
These are a great opportunity to gain a new perspective on your subject, experience different cultures and see more of the world.
Partners far and wide
We are developing a global reputation as a key player in legal education, through successful partnerships with other education institutions and organisations. These include:
- The United Nations Training and Research Institute – They are helping us incorporate specialist training in negotiation and international law into the undergraduate and postgraduate curriculums
- The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission – We are working with this body to provide accredited training to anti-corruption officers across Southeast Asia
- BAC – International Education Pathway – This is a private educational institution in Bangladesh, which currently runs a University of Derby BA (Hons) Law (Top-Up)
- The National Police College in Qatar – We are providing quality assurance and enhancement for this new college
- The Royal Malaysian Police – Every police officer in Malaysia will have their training accredited by Derby Law School and the University of Derby.