University of Derby English
BA (Hons) English
Why choose this course?
University of Derby English, In 1821 Percy Bysshe Shelley wrote that ‘poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world’. A century on, Ezra Pound described artists as the ‘antennae of the race’. Literature is provocative, challenging, unsettling and transformational; it exposes us to new perspectives and undermines existing certainties. At the University of Derby, we believe that the study of literature should do this too.
- Study a course which has 100% overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2016. You will explore fascinating aspects of the subject, including classical myth, the evolution of fantasy, the representation of crime, the legacy of Empire, cultural politics, existentialist writing and the 19th-century realist novel
- This degree will change the way that you think: you will encounter a wide range of literature from across the globe, studied in the context of perspective-altering theories concerning identity, desire, cultural politics and the nature of reality itself
- The course equips you with the skills and knowledge you need for excellent career prospects in fields ranging from teaching, journalism and publishing to acting and arts administration
- Our teaching team is made up of experts who are passionate about the subject and dedicated to your success
- There is the opportunity to broaden your experience with work-based learning projects, study visits to cultural and heritage institutions, as well as lectures and seminars delivered by guest speakers
- Our assessment strategy is designed to produce confident, articulate and independent graduates. There are no exams. As well as essays, you will be assessed on your participation in seminars and your ability to lead them. We also place great emphasis on developing your research skills, with conference papers and independent projects forming a key part of the second and third year
- You can choose to study for a semester in one of our American partner universities.
You can also choose to study English through the Joint Honours scheme where you can combine it with another subject.
Course leader: Dr Robin Sims
T: +44 (0)1332 591874
T: +44 (0)1332 590500