University Of Cumbria Wiki
The University of Cumbria is a public university in Cumbria. Its headquarters are in Carlisle.Other major campuses are at Lancaster, Ambleside, and London. It was established in 2007, following the merger of St Martin’s College, the Cumbria Institute of the Arts and the Cumbrian campuses of the University of Central Lancashire. Its roots extend back to the “Society for the Encouragement of Fine Arts” established in 1822 and Charlotte Mason teacher training college in the 1890s.
The university is continuing to grow, geographically as well as in academic scope.
The University of Cumbria was formed by the merger of St Martin’s College, Lancaster, the Cumbria Institute of the Arts (formerly Cumbria College of Art & Design), and the Cumbrian campuses of the University of Central Lancashire on 1 August 2007. These institutions formerly ran degree programmes accredited by Lancaster University and the University of Central Lancashire. In order to facilitate the change, St Martin’s College applied for independent degree-awarding powers in March 2005 and was successful in July 2006 after nine months of scrutiny by the Quality Assurance Agency. In January 2007 official university status was granted by the Privy Council.
The university is based upon the findings of a report by Sir Martin Harris.This plan envisaged a university based upon a “distributed learning network”, so that teaching will take place both at the University’s main campuses, and at colleges of further education around the county. This solved a problem for remote areas that did not previously have direct access to higher education.
The headquarters of the university are in Carlisle. Its other major campuses are at Ambleside, Lancaster (formerly St Martin’s College) and it has classrooms and open workspace in the “Energus” facility in Blackwood Road, Lillyhall, Workington. The university previously also had sites in Penrith (formerly University of Central Lancashire in Cumbria and before that Newton Rigg Agricultural College) and London. Newton Rigg has since been transferred to Askham Bryan College and the Tower Hamlets provision has moved to East India Dock Road. Furness College in Barrow-in-Furness has developed close links with the university and they share some facilities.
Carlisle campus, Fusehill Street
The site started its life as The Carlisle Union Workhouse in 1863. During the First World War, from October 1917 to June 1919, the buildings were used as a military hospital, in which time nearly 10,000 soldiers were treated. In 1938, it was converted into a municipal hospital, then a military hospital once more during the Second World War, after which it became City General Hospital until it closed in 1999.
Carlisle campus, Brampton Road
The Brampton Road campus was formerly the Cumbria Institute of the Arts, founded in October 1822 as the “Society for the Encouragement of the Arts”, later Carlisle Art College and College of Art and Design.