University Of Cumbria V300
The programme is a multi-professional, part-time course which will prepare nurses, midwives, health visitors for a role as an Independent Nurse Prescriber (V300).
In accordance with the requirements identified by the NMC, the programme comprises 26 theory days, of which some may be attended more flexibly online, and 12 practice days (90 hours equivalent) in clinical practice preparing to be a prescriber.
This 40 credit programme at level 7 comprises two 10 credits modules (one at level 6) and one 20 credit module focusing on the principles which underpin prescribing practice and pharmacology.
On successful completion of the programme students will be able to:
- recognise and manage clinical complexity, consult effectively with patients and carers, assessing their need for medicines, taking account of their wishes and conducting, as appropriate, a relevant physical examination;
- demonstrate clarity of reasoning in relation to the relevance of pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics and apply the knowledge to their own prescribing practice;
- interrogate the benefits and demonstrate how they will prescribe safely, appropriately and cost effectively, justifying the local application of legal and professional frameworks for accountability and responsibility in relation to prescribing;
- synthesise sources of information, advice and support, explaining how they will use them in prescribing practice, taking into account evidence based practice, national/local guidelines and the roles of others who are involved in prescribing practice;
- critically debate factors which impact on prescribing in a public health context and which necessitate therapeutic monitoring and modification and practice based change;
- demonstrate through the interface of theory and practice they can take an appropriate history taking, undertake a clinical assessment and make an appropriate diagnosis having considered the legal, cognitive, emotional and physical differences between children and adults.
This is an exciting programme of study which, on successful completion, allows students to seek to have their qualification recorded by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and to practise as an Independent Nurse Prescriber (V300).