University Of Cumbria Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office training
There’s so much help and support on Microsoft products, you’re spoilt for choice. You can consider all of these ways of getting help, depending on what you need and when you need it.
F1 help key
Don’t forget the F1 key on your keyboard. It opens full user guides and support content and articles.
Online help with Windows 7
Microsoft provide a wide range of help and support on finding out about Windows 7 and seeing how it is different to Windows XP. We recommend you start with Windows 7 Help & How-to, which has videos and explanations.
Online help with Office 2016 products
If you are new to Microsoft Office 2016, you might want some help finding your way around the new look screens and menus. Microsoft provides a range of short online courses available then links to more support. It covers Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, OneNote and Outlook 2016. Select Office 2016 quick start guides here.
The University of Cumbria is introducing Microsoft® Office365 for education for all our students and staff.
Before you start
You’ll need your student number and your Network password.
How to sign in to Office365
- Open the Microsoft Log in page – please bookmark https://outlook.com/uni.cumbria.ac.uk on your devices
- In the Office365 ID box, type your new email address. Enter it as email@example.com
You don’t need to use this part of your student number: /1 or /2. Just the digits before the first slash (/).
- In the Password box, type your Network password.
Want help on using all the Office365 functions?
Microsoft offers guides and web pages to help:
- Email guides takes you to Microsoft support on using email or Instant Messaging and creating rules.
- SkyDrive guides takes you to Microsoft help on making the best use of SkyDrive and accessing it from different platforms.
- Terms and conditions displays, in a new window, the full text of Microsoft’s terms and code of conduct. And, yes, you should read this.
Staff on campus
All staff use Microsoft Outlook. You will find it as part of the standard Microsoft products on your computer.
Before you start
HR sets up your new account when you start. You will need your username and password to set up your new Outlook account.
How to set up your emails
- Log on to your computer.
- Select the Outlook icon. This might take a while to load.
- Your personal email account appears. You can immediately start sending and receiving emails.
- Please read the Regulations and email etiquette.
Staff off campus
You can access your emails when you are working remotely through Microsoft’s Outlook Web Application.
How to access your emails
- On the University of Cumbria website, select Staff on the Home page.
- Select the Webmail box or type the address into your web browser: owa.cumbria.ac.uk/owa
- Complete the Office Outlook Web Access box. The table below describes each option:
|This is a public or shared computer||Leave this button selected if other people can use this computer. If you stop using the computer for a short time, it will log you out to protect your security.|
|This is a private computer||Select this button if you are using a personal computer that other people do not use. Later on you can set Webmail to always remember your username. However, you will always have to enter your password.|
|Use Web Outlook Light||Select this button if you know that you have a slow internet connection speed. If you are not using Microsoft’s Internet Explorer (IE) browser, this button might be already ticked and greyed out, so that you cannot change it. Some functions won’t be available, such as setting up rules.|
|I want to change my password after logging on||Do not tick this button. To change your password, refer to usernames and passwords.|
|Domain/user name||Enter the username that you use to log on to your computer on campus.|
|Password||Enter the password that you use to log on to your computer on campus.|
- Select Log On.
- Your emails appear.