University Of Cumbria History
The University of Cumbria was formed in 2007 by the merger of St Martin’s College, Cumbria Institute of the Arts and University of Central Lancashire’s Cumbria sites, operating from campuses spread across Cumbria and North Lancashire. We may be a relatively new university, but we are steeped in history dating right the way back to 1882.
The university is continuing to grow, expanding in geographical terms as well as academic scope.
Cumbria Institute of the Arts
Cumbria Institute of the Arts has a long history in Carlisle which began with the establishment of the Society for the Encouragement of Fine Arts in October 1822.
A new Academy of Arts was established in 1823 and in 1950 was renamed as the Carlisle College of Art. The institution was officially designated a higher education institute on 1 August 1997.
To reflect its academic growth and development, the institution gained approval from the privy council to change its name to Cumbria Institute of the Arts in 2002.
The institution was a founding member of AGHEC (Advisory Group for Higher Education in Cumbria) which was established in July 1999 by HEFCE to include the HEIs represented in Cumbria, Cumbria County Council and the North West Regional Development Agency.
In 2003, AGHEC transferred into University Education in Cumbria (UeC) working with Sir Brian Fender. The work undertaken by UeC underpins the current establishment of the University of Cumbria.
St Martin’s College
The Lancaster campus of the University of Cumbria started life as a barracks for the King’s Own Royal Regiment and it was this association which gave the teaching college its name – St. Martin’s – after a Roman soldier who converted to Christianity.
With the kind permission of the Museum for the King’s Own Royal Regiment we have a gallery of images from their archive and a collection from our own.