University College Birmingham Specialist Hair and Media Makeup
This course is offered as both a BA (Hons) and FdA. Students studying the FdA will have the option of progressing onto the final year of the BA (Hons) at the end of year 2.
The freelance hair and make-up industry requires artists who are able to work within a range of media settings. An understanding of each environment and its individual remit is a key component to your success. Whilst you may choose to specialise in future years within a particular field, it is essential to prove yourself and build a reputation within the industry first. Who knows where your career may lead?
Important factors alongside your skill-set are crucial in building your professional reputation. These include commitment, reliability and timekeeping skills as well as the ability to evaluate your work and train your eye to pick up detail. Your ability to communicate effectively with directors, crew, photographers and costume designers, to name a few, is key to your future success in this demanding yet exciting industry.
This course will train you to an advanced level in a wide variety of practical skills and give you the business knowledge you will need to promote yourself, build your business as a freelancer and manage your finances for a career in TV, film, photography and theatre. You will create a professional portfolio of work that will showcase your technical abilities to future employers.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will develop a range of specialist technical skills and assist in creating accurate hair and make-up styles for different periods in history.
- You will develop advanced skills in making and applying prosthetics and castings as well as how to create realistic wounds and special effects.
- As well as exploring fashion and catwalk make-up, we will also teach you to develop the skills required for you to set up and run your own freelance business.
- You will explore industry innovations and develop a critical awareness of film genres and design concepts surrounding postiche from a particular area.
- You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which is an ideal opportunity to showcase the technical skills you have gained and develop an industry specialism.
Kit / uniform
For practical activities, a uniform and kit will need to be purchased via UCB at a cost of approximately £400.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.