University College Birmingham International

university college birmingham logo

University College Birmingham International

UCB’s International Student advisors are located in the International Student Centre on the Seventh Floor of the Summer Row Campus and can offer help and advice either before you come to Birmingham or after you have arrived.

As an international student, you are likely to have to make extra preparations before leaving home and to require additional documentation from UCB. Please use the checklist below to make sure you are fully prepared.

Before You Travel to Britain

  • For EU students, make sure you satisfy the conditions of the offer of a place given by UCB;
  • Bring all your original qualification certificates and examination results with you – copies will not be accepted;
  • Have a valid passport;
  • Obtain any medical certificates you might need;
  • Make arrangements for your accommodation and bring your accommodation details with you;
  • Book transport to Birmingham;
  • Book UCB’s Airport Meet and Greet;
  • Check the dates for the international student orientation;
  • Plan your budget;

Non-EU students will usually require a student visa.

Once you have made your decision to come to University College Birmingham you will need to make final arrangements, which will include, in most cases, obtaining a Student Tier 4 Visa.

Although you can only apply for the visa within 3 months of seeking to come to the UK, you are advised to apply for your visa as soon as possible – this procedure can take some time, especially during the summer months. Each year, many students are unable to study in the UK because they did not leave enough time for visa applications.

Points-Based System

Student visa applications are now points-scored: in other words, your application will be assessed against specific criteria set up by the UK Government. It will be possible for you to check that you have sufficient points to be granted entry to the UK, before you make your application, by consulting the Home Office website.

Tier 4 Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies Letter (CAS):

You will need to obtain a CAS before you can apply for a visa. You can obtain this from the International Student Centre when you have received an unconditional offer from UCB and you are in a position to accept this offer. You will need to provide this CAS when you make your application to the British Consulate or High Commission in your home country. It is important that you bear in mind that once the CAS has been issued, you will be expected to join the issuing institution, so if you change your mind, you will need to contact International Admissions so that the Home Office can be informed of your decision.

To gain a Tier 4 General Student visa:

You will have to score points against 2 sets of objective criteria with a score of 40 points – 30 points are awarded for the CAS; 10 points are awarded for the Maintenance and Funds Test (you will have to show that you have funds to pay the first year of fees plus £7,380) which means that you must be able to demonstrate that you have and have had for a minimum of 28 days £7,380 as well as any outstanding tuition fees for your course.