University College Birmingham Hair and Beauty
The combined Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy course is a great way to get an insight into these two linked career paths. You will be trained in a practical working environment in our superb training/commercial salons.
Why should I choose this course?
- You know you want to work in the hairdressing/beauty therapy industries but you want to keep your options open
- You want to learn practical, valuable skills that will allow you to hit the ground running in a new job
- You are creative and enjoy following the latest fashions and trends
- You have a high level of commitment and are prepared to work hard to achieve your goals
- You have excellent communication skills
Why Maths and English are so important to your career
Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so that you can compete in today’s labour market and securing the career you’ve always wanted. Alongside your full-time course, students will continue to develop their English and maths skills. If you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16 you will continue to study these by resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
- Ratio is very important mixing hair dye etc.
- Basic addition and subtraction are important in calculating the costs of equipment and products and managing the stock
- Percentages are key in working out customer discounts
- Area and perimeter are important when designing and arranging a salon space
- Accurate spelling and a wide and specialist vocabulary are key in the presentation of hair and beauty products and services
- Good quality Speaking and Listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues
- Customer services skills require good English skills in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is a vital skill when following instructions in hair/beauty products and treatments
- Secure English is important when preparing a CV or a business proposal or when advertising/marketing your business