University College Birmingham Bursary

university college birmingham logo

University College Birmingham Bursary

Scholarships and Bursaries

The University has a number of scholarships, bursaries and special fees available for students, details of which can be found here.

Students with dependants

Childcare Grant – for students with dependant children. How much help you get will depend on your circumstances. Jobcentre Plus will not count the Childcare Grant when they work out your benefit entitlement. The government website for your part of the UK (England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland) provides more information regarding terms and conditions of eligibility.

Parents’ Learning Allowance – The Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA) provides help with course-related costs to students who have dependent children. Jobcentre Plus will not count this grant when they work out your benefit entitlement. Full-time students with dependant children may receive up to £1,573 a year, but it is dependent on household income.  The government website for your part of the UK (England, Wales, or Northern Ireland) will have more information.  Please note: this is not available to students from Scotland.

Child Tax Credit from HMRC – Students with dependant children are eligible for Child Tax Credit from HMRC. Students receiving the maximum amount of Child Tax Credit (and no Working Tax Credit) are entitled to free school meals for their children.

Students with children will be entitled to claim the new Child Tax Credit, whether or not they are working or studying. To qualify you must be over the age of 16 and be responsible for a child under 16.

For more information about this grant and to find out whether you are eligible visit the government’s Child Tax Credit webpages.

Adult Dependants’ Grant – If you have a husband, wife or partner or another adult member of your family who depends on you financially, you may be eligible. How much depends on your income and that of your dependants; the maximum grant is, however, £2,757 a year.

If you have a disability

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are offered to full-time and part-time students with disabilities, and are designed to help with the extra costs you have as a result of attending your course and as a direct result of your disability.

When you apply, you will be asked to go for a needs assessment to establish exactly what support you require. This will be carried out by a person with specialist experience at an independent assessment centre. The cost of the assessment may be met through your disabled students’ allowances.

The following allowances are offered to eligible students:

  • Specialist equipment allowance of up to £5,212 for the whole of your course.
  • A non-medical helper’s allowance of up to £20,725 a year. The maximum available is £15,543 if you are studying part-time.
  • A general disabled students’ allowance of up to £1,741 a year.  The maximum available is £1,305 if you are studying part-time.
  • Extra travel costs you have to pay as a result of disability and not normally for everyday travel cost.