University College Birmingham Beauty Therapy
Beauty Therapy Level 2 & 3 Diploma
- Course length
- 1 year full-time per level
Our practical courses will equip you with the skills you need to thrive in the glamorous beauty therapy industry. Training takes place in a practical working environment in our superb training/commercial salons.
Level 2 will provide you with the skills to work with confidence in a beauty salon. You will learn about essential techniques such as facial skincare, manicure/pedicure and waxing.
Level 3 will advance your skills and knowledge and allow you to work at a higher level with increased opportunities for promotion. You will be able to work anywhere in the world such as on cruise ships, luxury spas and resorts.
Why should I choose this course?
- You are excited by the booming beauty therapy industry
- You love the idea of making people look great and feel their best
- You follow fashion and the latest trends
- You might be interested in moving on to a degree course – and specialising as a make-up artist or looking at salon/spa management
Why maths and English are so important to your career
Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so that you can compete in today’s labour market and securing the career you’ve always wanted. Alongside your full-time course, students will continue to develop their English and maths skills. If you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16 you will continue to study these by resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
- Ratio is very important mixing hair dye etc.
- Basic addition and subtraction are important in calculating the costs of equipment and products and managing the stock
- Percentages are key in working out customer discounts
- Area and perimeter are important when designing and arranging a salon space
- Accurate spelling and a wide and specialist vocabulary are key in the presentation of hair and beauty products and services
- Good quality Speaking and Listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues
- Customer services skills require good English skills in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is a vital skill when following instructions in hair/beauty products and treatments
- Secure English is important when preparing a CV or a business proposal or when advertising/marketing your business
The Spa facilities
Please note the entry requirements below reflect the new GCSE grading structure for 2017 entry.
Normally, you will require a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade 3 (grade D) or above. For Level 3, you will need a relevant Level 2 qualification and ideally English and maths at grade 4 (grade C) or above, or alternatively at least 2 years’ relevant work experience.
School applicants will need to have a good school report and references.
If you do not have a grade 4 (grade C) or above in English and/or maths, you will be required to take an assessment so we can ensure you receive the best support.
Students are required to buy a uniform and a basic set of equipment. To help keep costs to a minimum, these items are available to buy through UCB. If you have any concerns about the cost of the uniform, please discuss this at your interview as we may be able to help.