University of Cambridge Windows 10
Instructions for configuring the UIS VPN on Windows 10 devices.
Before you start, you will need to know:
- your Network Access Username
– typically your CRSid (username) followed by @cam.ac.uk, e.g.
- your Network Access Token
– find your 16-character token at https://tokens.csx.cam.ac.uk
- the VPN server hostname
– only if connecting to an institution’s Managed VPN Service, rather than to the University’s general VPN. See the list of Managed VPN server hostnames.
Setting-up the VPN in Windows 10
- Click Start > Settings to open the ‘Settings’ panel:
- …and select Network & Internet:
- Click VPN from the list on the left. Add a VPN connection will appear – click on the + sign:
- Click in the VPN Provider window, which should add the text Windows (built-in).
- In the Connection name box, type Cambridge VPN.
- To connect to the main University VPN, in the Server name or address box enter:
Alternatively, if you are connecting to an Institution’s Managed VPN Service (not the main University VPN), you will need to enter its VPN Server hostname here instead (see the list of Managed VPN server hostnames to find this).
- Click in the Type of sign-in info box, which should default to ‘Username and password’:
DO NOT add the username and password at this stage, but ensure that Remember my sign-in info is ticked at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Save, and this screen will disappear.
- You should now see the ‘Cambridge VPN’ icon; click Change adapter settings beneath it:
- Right-click on the ‘Cambridge VPN’ icon (showing as ‘Disconnected’), and choose Properties:
- Choose the Security tab, and under the heading Type of VPN, select IKEv2 from the drop down list:
- Under the heading Data encryption, select Require encryption (disconnect if server declines).
- Under the heading Authentication select Use Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP).
- Click the OK button, and close the window.
Connecting to the VPN in Windows 10
- Select Start > Settings.
- Select Network & Internet.
- Select VPN and then click on the Cambridge VPN icon. A Connect box will appear.
- Click Connect.
- In the Username box enter your CRSid@cam.ac.uk (e.g.
- In the Password box enter your 16-character Network Access Token (get yours from https://tokens.csx.cam.ac.uk)