University of Cambridge Tier 5

University of Cambridge Tier 5

University of Cambridge Tier 5 (GAE) visa requirements

Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) category “is for those individuals coming to the United Kingdom through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice through work placements, whilst experiencing the wider social and cultural setting of the United Kingdom.” In practice, as a Higher Education Institution, we are permitted to use Tier 5 (GAE) for the following types of roles:

  • Sponsored researchers

Broadly defined as: “a person who wishes to come to the UK to lead or to take part in any formal research project. Formal research projects are those hosted but not necessarily funded by a UK research institution including universities, non-commercial research organisations, charitable organisations and national research councils (such as the Medical Research Council). The sponsored researcher fills a research post and works under the full or partial control of the institution, which will itself benefit from the research. Sponsored researchers can be funded from sources in the UK or overseas.” (Source)

  • Visiting academics

Only those who are giving lectures, acting as an examiner or working on a supernumerary research collaboration will qualify under this category.

  • Internship/Work Experience

Tier 5 (GAE) can also be used by individuals looking for an internship or period of temporary work experience in the UK. However, for these types of roles, the University of Cambridge cannot be the sponsor. Further details can be found on our webpages here.