University of Cambridge Tier 2

University of Cambridge Tier 2

Tier 2 (General)

If you have received a job offer from the University of Cambridge, full details of the Tier 2 CoS and visa process can be found on the University’s HR Immigration webpages.

Tier 2 is the main immigration route for working in the UK and is for skilled workers with a job offer. Visa sponsorship is required by an employer and the visa is linked to a specific job. There are different categories within Tier 2 and the most relevant for international graduates is Tier 2 (General).

Switching from Tier 4



The visa can be granted for up to 5 years.

Visa application

Requires you to obtain 70 points as below:

50 points for Attributes:

  • 30 points for Switching from Tier 4 (General)

You can switch into Tier 2 from Tier 4 if you have successfully completed your degree OR you have completed a minimum 12 months of study in the UK towards a UK PhD during your current period of leave.

You will be required to provide evidence of this with your visa application.

  • 20 points for minimum level salary of £20,800 or industry equivalent

10 points for English Language – fulfilled using Cambridge degree


Read more