University of Cambridge Tier 2
Tier 2 (General)
Tier 2 is the main immigration route for working in the UK and is for skilled workers with a job offer. Visa sponsorship is required by an employer and the visa is linked to a specific job. There are different categories within Tier 2 and the most relevant for international graduates is Tier 2 (General).
Switching from Tier 4
- Can only switch if applying from inside the UK
- Received confirmation of final degree in writing or completed 12 months of a PhD.
- Employer must be on the register of Tier 2 sponsors and issue a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).
- Job offer must be at ‘graduate level’ as outlined in the Immigration Rules Appendix J: codes of practice for skilled work.
- Minimum salary of £20,800 or industry equivalent if higher as outlined in the Immigration Rules Appendix J: codes of practice for skilled work. A graduate switching between a Tier 4 to Tier 2 visa can meet the ‘new entrant’ salary rate. The minimum salary varies depending on the occupation and in many cases is more than £20,800.
The visa can be granted for up to 5 years.
Requires you to obtain 70 points as below:
50 points for Attributes:
- 30 points for Switching from Tier 4 (General)
You can switch into Tier 2 from Tier 4 if you have successfully completed your degree OR you have completed a minimum 12 months of study in the UK towards a UK PhD during your current period of leave.
You will be required to provide evidence of this with your visa application.
- 20 points for minimum level salary of £20,800 or industry equivalent
10 points for English Language – fulfilled using Cambridge degree