University of Cambridge Library Catalogue
Click here to search the library catalogue
Please choose a specific Newton catalogue to search:
- University Library, Medical, Moore, and Squire Law libraries
- University Library Theses
- Departments and Faculties A-E
- Departments and Faculties F-M
- Departments and Faculties O-Z
- Colleges A-N
- Colleges P-W
- Other libraries associated with the University
(Please note: The Newton catalogue will be available until the end of December 2017 when the new Library Management System goes live.)
University of Cambridge Library
Over the course of six centuries the University Library’s collection have grown from a few dozen volumes on a handful of subjects into an extraordinary accumulation of several million books, maps, manuscripts and journals, augmented by an ever-increasing range of electronic resources. They cover every conceivable aspect of human endeavour, across three thousand years and in over two thousand languages. From its beginnings as an asset for a tiny community of theologians and canon lawyers in the medieval university, the Library’s mission has expanded to serve the international scholarly community and now, through its digitisation projects, to reach new audiences across the world.
The Library keeps evolving. In recent years we have been given the magnificent Montaigne Library of Gilbert de Botton, the literary archive of Dame Margaret Drabble, and the Chadwyck-Healey Liberation Collection, the definitive collection of French books published following the German retreat from French soil on 25 August 1944, donated by Sir Charles Chadwyck-Healey. Our major purchases have included the archive of the war poet Siegfried Sassoon and the important manuscript of St Luke’s Gospel known as the ‘Codex Zacynthius’, both supported with grants from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Friends of the National Libraries. A ground-breaking collaboration with the Bodleian Libraries also saw the Library jointly acquire the Lewis-Gibson Collection of Hebrew and Arabic manuscripts from the Cairo Genizah, collected by the twin Scottish sisters Agnes Lewis and Margaret Gibson.