University of Cambridge Hockey
History of the club
Over 1,500 spectators turned up in glorious weather at Beckenham on the afternoon of Wednesday 28th February 1912 to watch the 23rd annual hockey match between Oxford and Cambridge. A photograph of the Cambridge team has recently come to light at The Hockey Archives at the University of Bath. The players were R.P. Dalley (Pembroke) in goal; W.N. Scholes (Pembroke) and K. M. Robotham (Caius), backs; R. B. Lagden (Pembroke), H. M. Robinson, the Captain, (Pembroke) and D. O. Light (Pembroke), half-backs; B. S. Bland (Emmanuel), S. H. Saville (Trinity), A. H. A. Vann (Jesus), B. P. Nevile (Trinity) and J. M. Kendall (Corpus), forwards.
CUHC plays the majority of its home fixtures at the Wilberforce Road Hockey Ground and some at St. John’s College Ground.
Wilberforce Road Hockey Ground:
From the South: Leave the M11 at Junction 13. Turn right onto A1303 (Madingley Road) and turn second right into Adams Road. The ground is on the corner between Adams Road and Wilberforce Road (see map link above)
From the North: Leave the M11 at Junction 12. Take A603 (Barton Road) into Cambridge. Turn left into Grange Road (opposite the Hat & Feathers Pub) then left into Adams Road. The ground is on the corner between Adams Road and Wilberforce Road (see map link above)
The Leys School Hockey Ground:
St. John’s College Hockey Ground:
The pitch is located on the St. John’s College Playing Fields between Queens Road and Grange Road (as a newly built pitch it is not pictured on Google Maps). The pitch entrance is located between The Ave and the Madingley Road/Queens Road/Northampton Street Roundabout, on the left if driving from the South.