University of Buckingham Research Degrees Handbook

university of buckingham logo

University of Buckingham Research Degrees Handbook

University of Buckingham Research Degrees Handbook

Research Handbook


As a research student you are an important member of the University’s academic community. You will become an expert in your field, maybe even a world expert. You will work closely with staff and may, with the approval of your supervisor and head of department, perform teaching or other responsibilities for undergraduate or taught Master’s students.

Research can be a lonely occupation and requires a great deal of self-discipline, even for the most dedicated scholar. Do take advantage of the help offered by your supervisor, your department, and other departments and agencies both within and outside the University.

Your relationship with your supervisor is vital to the success of your studies. If you encounter any difficulties with your studies or with any other aspect of University life, try initially to resolve them with your supervisor. If this is not possible, then refer the matter to your Research Officer.

If your first language is not English, and you would like to improve your language skills, you are advised to visit the Language Centre and seek the advice of EFL staff. They will recommend videos, cassette tapes, and study-skills leaflets and can advise on English language classes if these are considered appropriate.

Buckingham has developed a strong welfare system to address any problems you may have.  The Student Welfare team is organised under the leadership of the Senior Tutor who has responsibility for pastoral care and also deals with breaches of general regulations.  The team also consists of two Deputy Senior Tutor with specific responsibility for disciplinary issues, and the administration of the Student Hardship Fund. The Senior Tutors work closely with the Student Welfare Department. This supports students’ physical and emotional welfare as well as their academic learning. The department comprises of a Welfare Adviser, a Welfare Officer, a Counsellor and a Learning Support/Disability Officer as well as two secretaries. It offers support, advice and a referral service to students experiencing or wishing to discuss personal concerns, and emotional or physical health issues.