University Of Bristol Year In Industry
Study in industry
All our courses are available with a year of Study in Industry between the second and final years. If you do well in your first year you can apply for this.
The year in industry is spent with a major pharmaceutical company, a biotechnology company or a research institute. You will normally be funded by the company that you have your placement with.
Slots in companies and research institutes are limited and entry is competitive, requiring a selective interview with the potential employer. If you are successful, you will then transfer and spend your third year gaining experience in a research laboratory. Your fourth year is then the same as the third year of the standard course.
Three of our second year students have already been offered placements at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) for 2016/17.
Previously students have been based at:
- Oxford Biomedica
- Peptide Therapeutics
- KWS BioTest
- Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
- Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research, Vienna
- Medical Research Council Laboratory, The Gambia
- Department of Ophthalmology, Keio University School of Medicine, Japan
- European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Grenoble, France
- European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, Porton Down
- National Institute for Medical Research, London