University of Brighton Research
We are committed to delivering significant social, cultural and economic impact from our research, locally, regionally, nationally and globally. In the last Research Excellence Framework (REF) in 2014, we were ranked 27 out of 128 institutions for our world-leading impact.
We have launched our Research and Enterprise Strategic Plan 2017–2021. Our focus is on increasing our research and enterprise capacity in priority areas, enhancing the quality and leadership of our research, ensuring interdisciplinary contributions will result in major advances and maximising the impact of our activities. Work has begun on our implementation plan.
Explore our research through our three colleges: arts and humanities, social sciences, and life, health and physical sciences. Each college is led by a Director of Research Development (DRD); they are supported by the university’s Research Office and report directly to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Enterprise
Research and Enterprise Strategic Plan 2017–2021
Our Research and Enterprise Strategic Plan 2017–2021 sets out our priorities and objectives; it is ambitious, far-reaching and the result of extensive consultation with key internal and external stakeholders.
A new thematic agenda is at the heart of this plan. The five Brighton Futures stake out our distinctive approach and strengthen our identity as a locally-embedded, globally-influential university. They describe who we are, what we do and the futures we are helping to build, they are:
We will invest in new Centres of Excellence for Research and Enterprise that will reflect the Brighton Futures, support innovative activities and develop our high-quality, interdisciplinary work. Delivering this plan will enable us to address global challenges, stimulate innovation and test conventional wisdom in the interests of a better and fairer world.
Research and Enterprise Strategic Plan Principles
- We undertake high-quality research and enterprise that is disseminated widely to build our local, regional, national and international reputation.
- Through partnerships, we engage in the co-production of research and enterprise that addresses strategically important questions, has the potential to generate impact and is of value to society.
- Research and enterprise underpin our teaching, and our students engage with our research and enterprise activities.
- We value the expertise of our staff and the contributions of our students and support them in enhancing their research and enterprise skills.
- Our research and enterprise infrastructure and environment support sustainable activity and the achievement of our strategic goals.
- Our structures and decision-making processes are efficient, transparent and meet the highest standards of integrity and we are accountable for the return on investments made.