University of Brighton Reprographics
We aim to meet all the University’s needs for routine printing, photocopying and stationery. A full range of commercial standard print technologies are used from high-speed bulk photocopying to multiple colour offset printing. Large or specialist jobs are arranged with outside printers; no extra charge is added to their price for this organising service.
For all University work a charge is made for each job done – usually to your school or department cost centre. Thanks to the way the service is funded, these charges are kept low. Reprographics’ prices for copying/printing runs of ten copies and over are normally cheaper than for your departmental copier.
1.1 Student copying and binding service
A copying and binding service available to students for reports, t h e s i s , dissertations, large/wide format and jobs where the finished pages are bound together. Ask at the counter for details and a while you wait service.
1.2 Colour copying
Colour copying at Moulsecoomb is now ‘a while you wait’ over-the-counter service at the same low prices that have been charged for the last few years. See the separate leaflet for details – A4, A3, A2, A1, A0
- Documents printed free in the University
- University stationery – headed notepaper (Faculty, School, group, unit etc, but not personal), compliment slips, memo paper (large and small) and fax cover sheets. Keep your stocks up, plan in advance and allow four weeks for delivery.
- Examination stationery – for question and answer papers, special security arrangements are made; contact x2790 for details.
- University committee papers – the main university-level committees (Academic Board and its sub-committees; Faculty Boards and their sub-committees) minutes, agendas and papers; normally arranged by the members of Registry who service the committees.
- Documents printed at materials cost
- School or course documents – for example course development groups, School Boards, research groups, learning and teaching materials.
- Handbooks – include specific module, course and accommodation handbooks for students, and guides for students. Also essential University information like the Student and Staff Handbooks.
- Publicity and information – posters, leaflets, brochures, folders, newsletters etc. Usually commissioned by school and faculty staff and designed by Graphic Design Studio.
- Business cards -for personal or official use. These have to be produced by a commercial supplier. Prices therefore cover their charges.
Printed Tuesday, 25 October 2016 Page | 3
Guide to Reprographics
1.5 What we cannot do
Printing bigger than SRA3 (450 x 320mm); copying bigger than A0; preparation of artwork or graphic design, paste-up and word-processing; the University prospectuses, which are specialist, high-volume production jobs.
The service operates on a first-come-first-served basis and aims to meet all deadlines. Minimum turn-round times cannot be guaranteed at peak times of the year and the way to avoid disappointment is to think ahead and plan well in advance. This is critical around the beginning of the academic year. Letterheads, compliment slips and other routine printing should normally be ordered while you still have three to four weeks’ supply.
- Normal service – can take from a few days to a couple of weeks, depending on the size and complexity of the job. Staff can usually provide a guide as to how long your job may take.
- Fast service – twenty four hour turn-round is available for simple jobs if you can deliver and pick up. ‘Simple’ means maximum job size of 20 originals and 100 copies.
- Emergency service – while-you-wait service when workload and time permit for those real emergencies; like when your copier is out of order or you work in a
department without a copier.
Maximum job size of 10 originals and 20 copies.
1.7 For more advice…
For any of the above, or if you can’t find exactly what you need here, please contact O f f i c e o n 2 7 8 9 o r Print Room 2417. Advice on all aspects of preparing print work is a key part of the service (see website & print room/counter staff). Reprographics staff can arrange specialist printing by commercial printers when necessary. You will only be charged the contractor’s price for the job. Reprographics do not charge for negotiating and placing work. Quotes are always obtained for your approval before the job is placed.
1.8 Getting jobs done
Hard copy, disks and CD’s can submitted in person to Room G13A or G9 Cockcroft or by using the internal mail/courier service. Web submission is the easiest and quickest way (see the following pages). In certain circumstances documents may be sent as e-mail enclosures, but by special arrangement with Reprographics only, as slight differences in software can alter your formatting.
Your finished jobs will be put into the internal mail or courier service (check Cockcroft Premises Office x 2710 for latest traffic news). Personal collection from Cockcroft G13A or G9 is a good option especially if your job is urgent.
Do be careful about copyright. The University holds a license from the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) which allows the copying of most categories of published material for teaching purposes. However, there are certain important exclusions and conditions with which the University must comply and other licences for specific
Printed Tuesday, October 25, 2016 Page | 4
Guide to Reprographics types of material such as maps or newspapers. See the separate document about Copyright – multiple photocopies on staffcentral or by any university photocopier. If in doubt about the legality of your copying, consult with your Information Adviser for further advice.
Reprographics jobs which appear to fall outside current UK copyright law and the terms of our licence agreements may well be delayed so do make sure that your copying is within legal limits before submitting work.
Lewes Road, Moulsecoomb
Brighton BN2 4GJ
Tel (01273) 642790
Fax (01273) 642620
ext 2789 Office
ext 2417 Print Room ext 2790 Manager
Opening times Term time only
Moulsecoomb Monday to Friday 0830 to 2000
Monday to Thursday 0830 to 1700 Friday 0830 to 1630