University of Bradford Computer Science
Modern business increasingly depends on information systems. Industry and the public services need graduates able to develop reliable, sophisticated, complex, cost-effective and high-quality computer systems.
Our Computer Science undergraduate degree courses cover the techniques and principles of computing that will allow you to become a professional in this high demand area. You will undertake practical work throughout the course and this is underpinned by theory to enable you to make informed choices and decisions.
Bradford continues to be a pioneer in the area of Computer Science within higher education in the UK, offering a wide spread of courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level as well as undertaking research to take our subject into the future.
Our former students have gone on to employment in a variety of industries, and some are now our industrial and research collaborators.
We also offer full-time and part-time MSc courses, and have an established track record of high impact research.
- Big Data Science and Technology MSc (full-time)
- Big Data Science and Technology MSc (part-time)
- Cyber Security MSc (full-time)
- Cyber Security MSc (part-time)
- Emphasis is placed on the application of theory to the solution of real problems within industry and commerce, with practical work throughout the course.
- Computer Science at Bradford has its own network based on powerful servers running UNIX, accessed by Linux and Windows workstations. The system can also be accessed from across the campus and beyond.
- All undergraduate courses are available as either three-year continuous courses, or four-years with an optional placement year in industry.
- Most undergraduate and postgraduate courses are accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institue for IT.
- The main programming language used is Java, which supports object orientation, graphical user interfaces, concurrency and networking. Other industry standard languages are also studied such as C#, C++, Haskell, Python and Ruby.
- Most undergraduate students share a common first year providing flexibility of study, depending on your chosen specialism.
- Computer Science at Bradford was one of the first departments in the UK to run an MSc course in Computing back in 1967.
Our dynamic, internationally-acknowledged staff develop new techniques for network performance, quantum computing, data mining, artificial intelligence, mobile computing, graphics, visualisation and computer games to help equip you with the skills you need for a career in the computing sector.
We have a strong heritage; we are one of the oldest Computer Science Departments in the country. We offer courses accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS). The BCS is the Chartered Institute for IT, the promoter for wider social and economic progress through the advancement of information technology science and practice. In being rewarded this accreditation, it means we are delivering knowledge that is set to the benchmark standard for students leading in to the professional industry. In addition to this, students studying throughout one of our courses accredited by the BCS will also be entitled to a student membership.