University of Bolton VPN
Unfortunately, due to security issues, you will need to connect to the university via VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection before you can use this site.
We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to make this simpler for you.
Please follow the instructions below:
The following instructions are for Windows 7. Other operating systems will be similar.
- Open Control Panel and select Network and Sharing Center
- Click on “Set up a new connection or network” – this will open the new connection wizard.
- Select “Connect to a workplace”; click Next
- Select “Use my Internet connection (VPN)”
- The internet address is vpn.bolton.ac.uk
- In the destination name, type in a name for this connection e.g. UoB VPN
- Click Next
- Enter your username and password and click the ‘Connect’ button.
- You should now be connected to the VPN. You can connect and disconnect using the Networks icon in the notification area (bottom right) or the Control Panel – Network and Sharing Center.
- Once connected, click here to access the Results Portal
University of Bolton Remote Access (apps.bolton.ac.uk)
The apps.bolton.ac.uk website means that you no longer need to use VPN to access services that were previously only available on-campus. The website only works with Internet Explorer and Windows.
When staff log on to http://apps.bolton.ac.uk they will be presented with icons for:
- Celcat 6.4
- Celcat SAT
- Contensis CMS
- Configuration Manager Console
- SPSS v20
- Staff Portal page
- Microsoft Excel, Visio and Word 2010
These applications will start in a “RemoteApp” window; that is, running on a remote server but in a single window on your home PC. You will need to log on again to connect to the remote server – please enter your username in the form firstname.lastname@example.org when the dialog box pops up.
Access to SITS or QLx
Access to SITS or QLx can be requested through your line manager – this remote access will need to be approved separately for a specific need even if you already have access to the service from your office PC. You will then have the icons added to the above list when you log in to the web page.
Remote Desktop Connection
The “Remote Desktop” tab will allow you to connect directly to your office PC. While we recommend using the RemoteApp icons (together with myFiles) if at all possible, it is possible to request access to remote desktop straight to your office machine. To do this, please contact IT Support Services with your office computer name, username and reason for request. Requests will be considered on an individual basis. There is a ‘wake my PC up from sleep’ tool on this tab, but connecting straight to your office PC is still less reliable than using RemoteApps.