University of Bolton Union
Bolton Students’ Union exists to make sure all University of Bolton students love student life!
We do this by welcoming you to the University at the start of each year, providing you with advice, support and key services, as well as creating a strong community of students who are just like you. You can get involved by:
- Joining one of our many sports clubs and student societies (or creating your own!)
- Buying a Freshers’ Wristband and/or coming to our Welcome events
- Becoming a Student Rep to work with your lecturers to improve your course
- Standing for Election to be the next SU President, NUS representative, or on our Board of Trustees
- Getting advice and support through our friendly Advice Unit – we can help you with money concerns, housing concerns and any academic issues
- Buying an NUS Extra Card to get offers on loads of stuff, from amazon.co.uk to Pizza Express
- Giving us feedback about how we can improve the experience of coming to the University of Bolton.
It’s important for you to know that every student is automatically a member of the Students’ Union – you can just come along and get involved. You’re a member no matter what – whether you’re a young student or a mature student, if you’re from China or you’re from Chorley, if you’re a part time student or if you study at a different campus – YOU’RE A MEMBER.
Opt out of the SU
All University of Bolton Students are automatically members of Bolton Students’ Union. However, you have the option of opting out of SU membership. This means that you will still be able to use our services, however you will not be able to vote in Union democracy.
To opt out you need to complete a form, available in the SU, Student Services, or online here. Please then hand this form into either the SU Reception or Student Services.
Charitable Status and Announcement of Charitable Objectives to Students
Under Section 22(4)(b) of the Education Act 1994, the University is obliged to draw to the attention of students at least once a year any restrictions imposed on the activities of the Students’ Union by the law relating to charities.
Resources provided to Bolton Students’ Union through the University should only be used for the charitable purposes of the Students’ Union. The charitable purposes of the Students’ Union are defined in the Students’ Union Articles of Association (Article 4) as:
The advancement of education of Students at the University of Bolton for the public benefit by:
- promoting the interests and welfare of Students at the University of Bolton during their course of study and representing, supporting and advising students;
- being the recognised representative channel between Students and the University of Bolton and any other external bodies; and
- providing social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities and forums for discussions and debate for the personal development of its Students.
The Articles of Association are available at:
Further information is available in the Students’ Union Code of Practice, available at:
Bolton Students’ Union
University of Bolton
Tel: (01204) 900 850