University of Bolton Textiles
University of Bolton Textiles, The textiles and Surface Design team are happy to offer a variety of textile activities. Depending on time/level, these may include demonstrations of textile machinery, hands-on activities – either knitting a scarf or designing and weaving a length of fabric, or some textile testing. These activities will be confirmed with you beofre your students arrive at the University.
The technical textiles group has a long history at IMRI and covers a wide range of engineering applications where performance and durability are of prime importance.
The group works closely with industry and academia helping to design, produce, fabricate and test new materials and textile structures through applied research and collaborative engagement that have lead to products developed for markets such as health, medical, sports, lifestyle, special forces (army, navy, airforce) and other niche applications (firefighters, divers, motor drivers). Over the years various projects and consultancy tasks have produced invaluable benefits for local and international industries.
The major areas of research activities include:
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Slash and cut resistant materials and smart body armour shields.
- Thermophysiological comfort for sports- and active-wear garments.
- Novel technical nonwoven and knitted structures.
- Atmospheric plasma coating and finishing
- Durability of textile materials
- Preparation and processing of preforms
- Novel utilisation of textile waste materials
Keep in Touch
Please get in touch with the Schools and Colleges liaison team if you would like any more information about what the University of Bolton has to offer you, or your students.
Schools and College Liaison
University of Bolton
Tel: 01204 903807