University of Bolton Office 365
What Is Office 365?
Microsoft Office365 is a group of cloud services that Microsoft offers to subscribers. Our subscription means that University of Bolton staff and students can use some of these services, including:
- Downloading Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel…) applications to install them on your PC or Mac
- Editing documents online, with Word online and Excel online
- For an increasing number of students, accessing your email
For instructions on accessing each of these services, please follow the details below.
Am I On Office 365?
Well, it depends what you want to do…
If you are a student here, your email may be hosted with Office365. This means you have a much larger mailbox and cutting edge features, like the new Outlook Web App interface.
You’ll know if your email mailbox is on Office 365 when you log in to Webmail. If you sign in to webmail.bolton.ac.uk and your mail is in the ‘cloud’, you’ll be told to use cloudmail.bolton.ac.uk to get to your mailbox from now on.
If your email is not hosted on Office365, don’t worry. You can still benefit from the other features of Office 365…
Downloading Office Applications
To download Office 2013 on your PC or Mac, you’ll first need a license.
- Follow this link to be assigned a license. You only need to go through this wizard once:
- Sign in with your email@example.com – If you are a member of staff, this will be different from your email address.
- You’ll arrive at something similar to the screen pictured above. Once you’ve installed the Office applications, you don’t necessarily need to sign in to them, but doing so can help you sync up your documents.
Editing Documents Online
Word Online, Excel Online, Powerpoint Online and OneNote Online are available to all our staff and students. Your Office 365 subscription comes with 1Tb of cloud storage and easy file sharing for collaboration.
To access your Office 365 subscription, follow the instructions above to get your license assigned.
- If your email is on Office 365, simply sign in to cloudmail.bolton.ac.uk and use the menu button at the top left of your Exchange Online screen.
- If not, set up your license by visiting the following link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=506946
- Once you get to the end of the wizard, you’ll need to wait a minute or two while the Office Online products are set up for you.
- To return to Office Online, go to portal.office.com/Home at any time once you’ve done the initial registration.
Accessing Your Email
When your mailbox is first moved to Office 365, you’ll see a message when you log into webmail:
This message is telling you that in future, you don’t need to log in to Webmail; you should go to cloudmail.bolton.ac.uk to get to your email.
At that point, if your mailbox has been moved (you’re not a new student here), you’ll get an email telling you how to set up email on your mobile devices again.