University of Bolton Manchester
The University of Bolton (formerly Bolton Institute of Higher Education or simply Bolton Institute) is a public university in Bolton, Greater Manchester, England. It has approximately 14,000 students across all sites and courses, with 700 academic and professional staff. Around 70% of its students come from Bolton and the North West region. It ranked 93 out of 119 institutions in the newly released table.
The Times newspaper profile states: ‘The university sees itself as a regional institution, with around three quarters of the students coming from the North West, many through partner colleges.’
The university is a member of the North West Universities Association, Universities UK and Million+
Bolton Mechanics’ Institute
The University of Bolton traces its origins back to 1825 with the founding of Bolton Mechanics’ Institute.
Bolton Technical School
In 1887 the Committee of the Mechanics’ Institute decided that the town’s apprentices required technical instruction for the rapidly expanding engineering advances being made at the turn of the nineteenth century. This resulted in the creation of the new Technical School with student numbers rising to more than 1,500.
Bolton Municipal Technical College
In 1926 Bolton Technical School became a college. Fifteen years later a new building was opened offering a wide range of technical education choices, with engineering the most popular. Numbers rose to 5,750 students attending more than 1,000 classes.
Bolton Institute of Technology
In 1964 Bolton Technical College and Bolton Institute of Technology were divided into two separate organisations. A J Jenkinson, known as Jack, was Principal of the Technical College, Bolton College of Education (Technical) and then the first Principal of Bolton Institute of Technology.
Bolton Institute of Higher Education
Bolton Institute of Higher Education was formed in 1982 by the merger of the Bolton Institute of Technology (or simply Bolton Institute) and Bolton College of Education (Technical). The first principal of BIHE was Mr John McKenzie who was succeeded by Professor Bob Oxtoby who began the campaign for university status. An £8.3 million extension project began in 1991 with the purchase of the former Eagle Factory. Bolton Institute was awarded the right to award taught degrees in 1992, with the powers to award research degrees in 1995. In 1998 Mollie Temple became the third principal and successfully led the institution to achieve university status in 2004.