University of Bolton Library
The Library is a member of many regional and national schemes that allow our students and staff to use other university libraries and for other users to access a range of our library services.
The following page is meant as a general guide only. There are many different types of scheme in operation, all offering different levels of access, in order to join the most appropriate scheme, please visit or contact the Help Desk in the Library where staff can advise you.
At present only university students and staff can access library services outside of staffed hours. We hope to be able to extend this service to external members of the Library in the future.
Access to other libraries for University of Bolton members
University of Bolton Library, SCONUL Access
The University of Bolton Library is a member of the national SCONUL Access scheme which allows part-time, distance or placement students (on a placement of ten weeks or more), full-time taught postgraduate students, permanent members of staff and postgraduate research students the opportunity to register with and borrow from other university libraries. Full-time undergraduates are entitled to reference only access under this scheme.
Most university and some specialist libraries participate in the scheme, but please be aware that some libraries will only permit access to certain types of users. Check the SCONUL Access web site to ascertain whether you are able to use the facilities of another institution.
There may be restrictions in place for Sconul access users, especially those in Band R, at other university libraries during examination periods, because of pressure for study space, or during vacations, when building work may be taking place – always check the website of the library you wish to visit.
Unfortunately the University of Bolton cannot offer access to electronic resources to external users and therefore our users will not be given access to electronic resources at other SCONUL libraries.
How do I join?
Apply online via the SCONUL Access web site where you can find further details of the scheme.
- Select your user category and home institution and the libraries you can use will be displayed as a map or list.
- Select one of the libraries you wish to use and click on the Apply for Access link on the Institutional Details page.
- Complete and submit the application form
You do NOT have to submit an online application for each library you wish to use.
You will receive an acknowledgment of your application from SCONUL Access and your application will be reviewed by library staff at the University of Bolton. As long as there are no problems with your library account, you should receive an acceptance email within three working days. This acceptance email is valid for any library you are entitled to use. A print out of your acceptance email and your University of Bolton ID card should be presented when you apply to another library.
Please be aware of the following:
- Students must be studying on an HE course which lasts for a year or more. Staff must have a permanent contract with the University of Bolton.
- Only users who are in good standing with the Library can join these schemes. If you have outstanding fines, overdue books or invoices you will not be allowed to join other university libraries.
- Other libraries are not required to provide any training in the use of library services.
- Users are expected to observe relevant regulations that apply to studying in other libraries and are responsible for any fines or replacement costs incurred. Your card can be withdrawn if you infringe the rules of the host library.
- Always check opening hours and facilities before visiting the libraries, particularly at weekends and during vacations.
Sconul Summer Vacation Access
Students following taught courses at institutional members of SCONUL will normally be granted reference use of other SCONUL HE libraries free of charge during the summer vacations of the host institution.
For more information please visit the Sconul Summer Vacation Access webpage.
Using North West Academic Libraries (NoWAL)
All of these local libraries can be used by University of Bolton students via the SCONUL Access scheme
- Edge Hill University
- Lancaster University
- Liverpool Hope University
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Royal Northern College of Music
- University of Bolton
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of Chester
- University of Cumbria
- University of Liverpool
- University of Manchester
- University of Salford
For more information please visit the NoWAL webpages
Public Library Access
You can join the public library in the borough where you are living. Some libraries participate in a universal access scheme whereby your library card can be used to borrow from other public libraries. Please enquire about this scheme at your local public library.