University of Bolton Governors
University of Bolton Governors, The Board of Governors acting collectively as the University’s effective Governing Body is responsible for overseeing the educational character and mission of the University with specific responsibilities for financial probity and the effective use of resources.
The Board comprises of both independent and staff/student governors who are also the charitable trustees of the University. The Vice Chancellor and the President of the Student Union are both ex-officio members of the Board. The Chair and Deputy Chair of the Board are elected from the independent members of the Board.
Governors are required to adhere at all times to the Code of Conduct for Governors (which includes the Statement of Primary Responsibilities).
The Board meets at least four times a year and has established the following sub-committees to assist it carry out its responsibilities:
- Audit Committee
- Resources Committee
- Nominations Committee
- Remuneration Committee
- Ad Hoc Committee
The University traces its history to the Bolton Mechanics’ Institute, established in 1825 alongside similar institutions formed to serve the educational needs of employers and their workers in the northern industrial towns and which formed the basis of a number of today’s universities.
During the 19th and 20th centuries, technical and vocational education grew in Bolton, closely aligned with the growth of the textiles and engineering industries, leading to the foundation of the Bolton Technical School in 1891, which became the Bolton Technical College in 1936.
Higher level courses were transferred to the new Bolton Institute of Technology in 1966 and in 1982 the Institute merged with the Bolton College of Education (Technical), established in 1947 as one of four specialist centres for the training of teachers for the post-compulsory sector, to form the Bolton Institute of Higher Education.
Taught degree awarding powers were granted to the Institute in 1992 at the same time as the former polytechnics including the Manchester Metropolitan University, the University of Central Lancashire and the Leeds Metropolitan University.
Research degree awarding powers were gained in 1996 and the Institute was awarded university title in 2005, becoming the University of Bolton.
The University’s legal name is The University of Bolton higher education corporation.
As a higher education corporation, the University is a statutory body established under the provisions of the Education Reform Act 1988 and enjoys charitable status as an exempt charity.
The University is autonomous and responsible for the management of its own affairs.