University of Bolton Biology
Why choose this course?
Here we will give you a challenging academic environment that is focused on bringing out the best in you.
- 1st in the North West for graduate prospects (CUG 2015 & 2016)
- Take advantage of our flexible approach, which allows you to specialise in your final year or continue with broad-based study
- Benefit from small class sizes and enjoy regular contact with approachable, highly qualified staff
- Use high-spec, modern laboratories with designated technicians
- Be reassured by the high levels of student satisfaction for teaching – 85% in the National Student Survey
- Enjoy a wide range of career options and take advantage of the course’s established success in placing graduates into employment (within schools, colleges, universities, NHS, local wildlife trusts and research labs)
The BSc (Hons) in Biology offers you the opportunity for study in all aspects of plant and animal life. This degree will enhance your considerable interest in the subject and also support your future career development, in particular if you are considering work in a related field.
This is a flexible course in which you will establish a strong foundation in the subject during your first and second years of study. In your third year you will have the opportunity to continue with your broad study of Biology or focus your studies on a more specialised field by selecting one of the named routes from Animal Biology and Molecular Sciences.
In addition to broadening your knowledge of the science of biology, you will gain an understanding of research methods and develop the practical and laboratory skills relevant to your studies and future career.
About the course
Class sizes are small and teaching staff are supportive and friendly. Many of the areas in which you may choose to specialize are supported by staff research, such as aspects of molecular or environmental biology.
You will be taught using a wide variety of methods including lectures, tutorials, seminars, laboratory and field work, small group work and supported self study. Experts in particular areas of biology regularly give talks and presentations as guest speakers.
Throughout your studies you will have access to the University’s modern, well-equipped laboratories where you will have the opportunity to enhance your practical lab skills.
- Class sizes are small and teaching staff are friendly and very supportive.
- You will have the opportunity to build networks with professional biologists and others working in related roles, through professional placements and field work.
- Throughout your studies you will have access to the University’s modern, well-equipped laboratories.
- You have the opportunity to study abroad in a habitat of your choice (including desert, marine or rainforest).
Fees, funding and finance information
Year of study
More Home/EU Fee information
Year of study
No hidden extras
We will not charge you any additional fees or ask you to pay any additional costs that are mandatory for the completion of your course*. We will cover the cost of the following:
- Technical or laboratory materials required to complete your course e.g. for Art and Design or Creative Technologies courses
- All mandatory site visits or field trips
- Any required safety equipment e.g. lab coats, goggles
- Any specific uniform or clothing required by the course
- Printing/copying for academic studies – an allowance of £20 per year (equivalent to 500 black and white copies)
*Terms and conditions apply, please see http://www.bolton.ac.uk/fees for further information
Additional learning opportunities and associated costs
In addition to the course fees above, there are some further costs which you may incur as a student on this course. These costs are optional and are not mandatory to your studies.
Residential marine science field course (year two) £350-£470+ (estimate covers travel, food and accommodation).