University of Birmingham Volleyball
The club boasts a wide variety of participation options for people of all skill levels, from recreational to competitive regional/BUCS teams. We are multinational club with members from across the globe. We pride ourselves of being an inclusive club.Our regional teams allow for non-students to play for the club and participate in our social events. Whether you’re an international student here for only one term, an undergraduate/postgraduate student, or a Phd student here for a longer period, you are welcome to join the club, play for our teams and join us in our social activities, including sports nights, fundraising, club meals and many more events. All that is required of you to join is a team spirit and love for the sport.
Training times and venues
Monday 7-9 pm in the New Gym
Tuesday 7.15-9.15 pm in the New Gym
Subject to change with the opening of University of Birmingham’s 360 Sport & Fitness Centre, opening in Decemeber
Club captain: Zandina Glava
Head coach: Graham Fowler
Successes and achievements
- 2015- 2016: The Men’s BUCS team came second in the Midlands 1st league and the Women’s BUCS team achieved 3rd place in Midlands 1st league.
- Men’s regional achieved 4th place in the local division one and the regional women’s came in 2nd in the second division.
- 2014-2015: Our club has obtained outstanding achievements through hard work and effort from all the teams. Starting with the women’s BUCS team, this managed to get through the quarter finals of the trophy. Regarding the men’s BUCS team, despite the many veterans who left and a new and younger team, the latter managed to stay in the same league after a dynamic championship. The regional 1 men managed to win the prize of the trophy and the ladies regional 1 together with the men’s regional 2 kept their places in the local championships.
- 2011 the club was shortlisted by Volleyball England for their club of the year award, the second time in three years.
- Head Coach Graham Fowler was awarded national Development Coach of the Year at Volleyball England’s Annual Awards ceremony, in July 2010.
- Last season the Men’s NVL 1 team secured back-to-back promotions, winning Division 1 and in 2009-2010 were crowned champions of Division 3 North losing only 2 games, and finished the season winning the National Shield Final at Crystal Palace.
- 2009 Women’s NVL Division 1 team reached the National Cup Final in Sheffield and their game was shown on Sky.
- 2008 the club finished runners-up in CCPRs ‘Community Sports Club of the Year’, a National award incorporating all sports.
- The club has gained Volleyball England’s Volley 3 accreditation and Sport England’s Club Mark. These certificates awarded by the National governing body, to display the standard of the club. We are currently one of only two volleyball clubs in the country to achieve this standard.
- The club won ‘Club of the year – development award’ at the sports dinner and awards evening in 2008 and 2011, along with our head coach receiving the Victoria Wesley award for personal dedication and improvements to the club.