University of Birmingham Tier 4 Licence Number

University of Birmingham Tier 4 Licence Number

University of Birmingham crest

University of Birmingham Tier 4 Licence Number

Tier 4 Licence Number


Applying for a Tier 4 (General) visa to study

International students (from outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland) need a visa (entry clearance) to study in the UK. Even students classed as ‘non-visa nationals’ will need to apply for the correct permission to study in the UK. Students requiring a Tier 4 (General) visa will need to apply before coming to the UK: it is not possible to switch to this visa category on arrival.

Is a Tier 4 (General) visa right for me?

The University of Birmingham has a Tier 4 (General) Sponsor Licence which permits us to enrol international students on a range of courses. Tier 4 visas are appropriate for students that can prove their ability in English language, that have enough funds to support themselves and are able to meet the other entry requirements, under the points-based system.

Unlike a short term study visa, if you enter the UK on a Tier 4 (General) visa you may be permitted to work in the UK, subject to restrictions, and certain students may be able to bring family members (dependants). In addition it is possible, subject to restrictions, to extend a Tier 4 (General) visa if you need more time to study.

The UK has a points-based immigration system. Tier 4 visa applications require 40 points:

Your visa application will be refused if you do not meet the points requirements.