University of Birmingham Ranking World
It’s important that we perform well in comparison to our peers in the UK, but the academic community is global, and we’re seeking to reflect this by advancing our international profile. With this in mind, it’s key that we perform well against leading universities across the world.
Our international position
The World University Rankings, Times Higher Education
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings rated Birmingham 130 out of 800 universities across the globe. The rankings use 13 performance indicators to provide acomprehensive and balanced comparison between institutions. These rankings are trusted by students, academics, university leaders, industry and governments.
QS World University Rankings
Birmingham is 82nd in this year’s QS World University Rankings, cementing our position in the top 100 universities globally and placing us as 15th amongst UK universities.
Shanghai Jiao Tong University World Rankings
Shanghai Jiao Tong University World Rankings ranked Birmingham as being in the top 101 – 150 out of 500 universities, establishing us as joint 9th out of the 37 UK universities to appear in the top 500.
International facts and figures
As a leading international university, we welcome students and staff from around the world. They enrich our learning community by bringing a wider perspective to our work and our culture.
Their experiences contribute to the University’s efforts to ensure that all of our students graduate with the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to contribute to a global society.
Birmingham is making strides to increase its position as one of the world’s leading universities. We start from a strong base, as these figures demonstrate:
- Birmingham is 82nd in the QS World University Rankings, cementing our position in the top 100 universities globally and placing us as 15th amongst UK universities.
- We are consistently top 100 in the Financial Times and Economist Business School world rankings.
- We currently have 5,000 students from over 150 countries among our student community – the fourth-largest population of international students at any UK higher education institution, and the largest international postgraduate community in the UK.
- Of our academic staff, 31% are overseas nationals.
- Birmingham is one of the UK’s major participants in the Erasmus programme, which encourages student exchanges between leading European institutions.
- We are a founder member of Universitas 21, a global network of 27 research-led universities across 17 countries.