University of Birmingham Grading System
Grading and banding
The University employs support staff on bands 100 to 500 and academic and related staff on grades 6 to 10.
- Job evaluation: what is it and why do it?
- Grading when and how: for a new role and changing the current grade or band of a role
- Grading: for research roles on grades 6 and 7
- Job family frameworks: a simplified way of identifying what grade or band a job is
- Generic role descriptions: for teaching- and research-focused roles
- Reference job descriptions band 100 to 500 and academic-related grade 6 to 9
- Professorial contribution banding: professors are assigned to one of three bands
You may also be looking for:
Regrading for research staff on grades 6 and 7
Researchers on grades 6 and 7 (Research Associate/Research Fellow I) can apply for progression to the next grade at any time by submitting an application to their Head of School. Similarly, the Head of School may initiate a proposal for these role-holders to progress to grade 7 or 8.
There is, additionally, an annual timetable for considering applications for regrading these staff.
Where a researcher is on the top point of grade 7, their position must be reviewed annually to consider their suitability for progression to grade 8.
- Re-grading for research staff, from grade 6 to 7 and grade 7 to 8 (PDF – 47KB)
- Timetable for re-grading for research staff (PDF – 23KB)
- Guide to CV content for promotion applications (PDF – 19KB)