University of Birmingham Application
How to apply
Apply for your postgraduate course using course finder. By clicking on the specific programme you wish to apply for you will be directed to an application specifically designed for your programme where you will create your account with the University and submit your application and supporting documents online.
Your application is specifically designed for the programme you choose to apply for and it is sensitive to the answers you provide as you proceed through the application. See our application guidance notes for postgraduate taught fee paying programmes and all other postgraduate taught/research programmes.
Once you have submitted an online application you will be sent details of how to enter your applicant portal.
Your portal experience will allow you to send and receive communications to and from the University. You will be able to track the progress of your application at every stage of the admissions process; update your personal information, view decisions and accept any offers you may receive.
1. Choose your course using course finder
2. Consider whether you meet the entry requirements:
3. Check the specific course entry requirements, which can be found on individual course listings in our course finder .
4. Contact the department if you need any advice about a particular programme for example, if you need advice on which specific course to apply for.
5. Consider the supporting documents you might need to upload as part of your application.
If you are not able to apply online, please contact us via email or telephone: +44 (0)121 414 5488.
When you apply for a postgraduate programme via course finder , you will have the option to upload your supporting documents. The following information will usually be needed before a decision can be made on your application:
- Two academic references (or if appropriate to the programme applied for, one could be from your employer).
- Academic transcript(s) for all prior degrees – originals or certified photocopies:
EU and international applicants – if you are currently studying outside the UK or have obtained your qualification(s) outside the UK
UK applicants – if you are currently studying in the UK or have obtained your qualification(s) in the UK and your university provides transcripts. If you are not a recent graduate send certified copy(s) of relevant qualifications. University of Birmingham graduates do not need to provide transcripts or copies of degree certificates, however we advise applicants who graduated prior to 2000 to provide copies of their qualifications as they may take longer to verify.
- Certificate to show competency in the English language, if English is not your first language and you have already taken a test (See English language requirements ).
- Personal statement, approximately 5000 characters, explaining why you are interested in studying on your chosen programme. Alternatively, you can type this within your application.
- You may also be required to submit further documents e.g. a sample of work or research proposal in support of your application. If this is necessary for a decision to be made on your application, the document will become a mandatory part of your application. See guidance notes .
Applications for the following postgraduate programmes should be made through the appropriate central Clearing House:
- For the MA Social Work, applications must be made through UCAS
- For Post Graduate Certificate in Education qualifications, applications must be made through UCAS-TT
- For Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies (CPE) applications must be made through the Law Central Application Board
- For all other postgraduate courses, requiring a specific method of application, other than our usual online application, information on ‘how to apply’ is available through course finder .