University of Birmingham 3 Minute Thesis
Birmingham Three Minute Thesis 2017
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by the University of Queensland in 2008, in which doctoral researchers have just three minutes to deliver an engaging presentation on their thesis topic, its originality and its significance.
With universities across the world now holding their own 3MT competitions, we are delighted to be running a University of Birmingham 3MT and to invite our own doctoral researchers to participate in such a highly-regarded competition.
If you are a current doctoral researcher interested in developing your presentation and research communication skills, raising the profile of your research and having the chance to win an international research bursary, we warmly encourage you to take part.
After you submit your application, you will also receive expert training to help you polish your presentation skills for the heat event and the 3MT final.
To register to take part in the 2017 Birmingham Three Minute Thesis Competition, please complete the application form.
If you enter the competition, you will be invited to take part in a ‘heat’ with other entrants from across the University and the top ten presenters from across these ‘heat’ events will be selected to compete in the final. This year, the competition will take place in early June and the final is scheduled for the week commencing 5 June 2017.
The competition will give you the opportunity to compete for a place in the nationwide UK 3MT contest. The winner of the Birmingham competition will go forward to the UK-wide 3MT semi-final, and to compete for one of six places in the UK final at the Vitae Annual Conference.
To enter the Birmingham 3MT competition, you must:
- Be currently registered on a doctoral programme at the University of Birmingham. This includes students who have submitted their thesis and are awaiting their viva
- Be available for a heat event on one of the following dates: 24 May (10:00-11:30) or 25 May (10:00-11:30)
- Be available, if shortlisted after the heat event, for the Birmingham final during the week commencing 5 June 2017
- Be available, if successful, to participate the UK-wide final on 11 September
- Agree to your presentation being videoed
The rules for your 3MT presentation are as follows:
- Your 3MT presentation should be based on research that is directly related to your doctoral thesis
- You should present in a style suitable for an intelligent but non-expert audience
- ALL presentations should be NO LONGER than three minutes; competitors exceeding three minutes will be disqualified
- You will be allowed one single and static PowerPoint slide to support your presentation (slide transitions or animations are NOT allowed)
- No additional electronic media (such as sound or video) are allowed
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted
- No notes are permitted
- Presentations are to be spoken word (no poems or songs)
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final