University of Bath Part 2 Architecture
The Professional Diploma is aimed at the architecture student who understands that the world is in a time of transition and that building design plays an important role in environmental impact. Therefore there is great potential within the profession for environmental change and this is pivotal to the entire sustainability debate.
- Aimed at students who wish to pursue a career in architecture and wish to attain a highly credited Part II diploma.
- Graduates of this course will understand built environment design in the context of adaptation to sustainability issues.
- Monthly intensive residential study weeks immerse students in their projects.
- Collaboration with external designers, architects and community projects add ‘real-life’ experience to the students’ resumes.
- Intensive eighteen month course allows graduates to respond more quickly to the urgent need for a greater understanding of sustainability issues in the built environment.
The Programme content
The Professional Diploma programme offers a unique blend of design and academic study together with practical experience. Students are equipped with the knowledge and vocational skills that are becoming increasingly important in the architectural industry.
The following modules are delivered via a lively mixture of practical workshops, studio-based design work, site visits, seminars and lectures.
- Design studies with professional practice.
- Design and fabrication: collaborative project.
- Design and fabrication: renewable energy engineering.
- Design studies: summer school.
- Environment, energy, climate and human beings.
- Building performance and energy use.
- Building performance and use of materials.
See the list of Module study dates.
Methods of assessment
Students are continuously assessed on essays, presentations and practical work.
There is a final exhibition of students’ designs exhibited in the prestigious WISE building and assessed by external examiners.
- Exemption from RIBA part 1
- Presentation of a portfolio of work
Applicants who have been educated overseas but lack RIBA part 1 exemption can gain exemption by presenting their previous work independently to the Architects Registration Board (ARB) as an external student. Further information can be obtained from the ARB at: – www.arb.org.uk