University of Bath London
University of Bath London, History
In 1885 the school was renamed the Merchant Venturers’ Technical College and in 1929 the Bath School of Pharmacy became part of the college.
By 1960 the college had become the Bristol College of Science and Technology and, following the Robbins Report of 1963, which recommended immediate expansion of universities, began to look at gaining university status.
With the college rapidly expanding and no suitable site available in Bristol, a chance conversation between the college principal and the Director of Education in Bath led to an agreement to provide the college with a new home in Claverton Down, Bath.
The first building on campus was completed in 1965 (becoming the building now known as 4 South), just a year before the Royal Charter was granted.
The University motto is: generatim discite cultus.
The motto comes from The Georgics by Virgil, Book II, line 35, in a section where Virgil is talking about understanding the nature of an organism in order to ensure it thrives.
As translated by H.R. Fairclough for Loeb Classical Library (first published in 1916 by Harvard University Press): Learn the culture proper to each after its kind.
As translated by Kimberly Johnson for Penguin Classics (published in 2009): Learn husbandry specific to each species.
In her 50th Anniversary speech, the President and Vice-Chancellor Professor Dame Glynis Breakwell commented that the motto instructs us to “achieve an understanding of our world and strive to use our knowledge to ensure a sustainable future”.